A great evangelistic opportunity
Evangelical churches around the nation are reporting a surge in attendance and new memberships, a trend church leaders attribute to harder economic times. “It’s a great evangelistic opportunity for us,” said the Rev. A.R. Bernard of the Christian Cultural Center in Brooklyn, N.Y. “When people are shaken to the core, it can open doors.”
The New York Times
President Bush's all-time records
President Bush has experienced the biggest swing in approval ratings—more than 70 points—of any president since such figures have been tracked. His 92 percent approval rating after 9/11 was an all-time high for any president, while his current approval rating near 20 percent is an all-time low.
Americans change driving habits
Driving in America has undergone its most dramatic decline in history, as Americans drove 100 billion fewer miles during the 12-month period ending October 2008 compared with the prior year. “The fact that the trend persists even as gas prices are dropping,” said Transportation Secretary Mary Peters, “confirms that America’s travel habits are fundamentally changing.”
U.S. is world's top arms dealer
American companies sold $32 billion in weapons on the world market last year, making the U.S. the planet’s top arms dealer, the nonpartisan New America Foundation reported. More than half of the top 25 U.S. customers in the developing world are listed by the State Department as undemocratic or engaged in human-rights abuses.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The mystery behind China's aggressive push into space
- Yes, Republicans can impeach President Obama
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- What religious traditionalists can teach us about sex
- Why Texas' abortion rates aren't falling as quickly as everyone expected
- The 5 best and worst states for a well-lived life
- Why all drugs should be legal. (Yes, even heroin.)
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 7 ideas from ancient thinkers that will improve your modern life
- The 6 best low-cost smartphones
Subscribe to the Week