New York Gov. David Paterson this week lashed out at Saturday Night Live for what he termed its “third-grade” jokes about his severe vision impairment. On the show, Fred Armisen portrayed Paterson, who is legally blind, as a squinting buffoon who didn’t know where he was or which way to hold a chart. Armisen’s Paterson also railed against “fancy two-eyed smart alecks.” His spokesman said SNL implied that disabled people are “incapable of having jobs with serious responsibilities.” NBC declined comment.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Bob Odenkirk's 6 favorite books
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
Subscribe to the Week