New York Gov. David Paterson this week lashed out at Saturday Night Live for what he termed its “third-grade” jokes about his severe vision impairment. On the show, Fred Armisen portrayed Paterson, who is legally blind, as a squinting buffoon who didn’t know where he was or which way to hold a chart. Armisen’s Paterson also railed against “fancy two-eyed smart alecks.” His spokesman said SNL implied that disabled people are “incapable of having jobs with serious responsibilities.” NBC declined comment.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Watch out, China — America is working on dogfighting drones
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why America won't have enough money to battle ISIS
- How the Simpsons/Family Guy crossover revealed the worst of both shows
- The troubling persistence of eugenicist thought in modern America
- Why the Chinese military is only a paper dragon
- Libertarianism's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad idea
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
Subscribe to the Week