New York Gov. David Paterson this week lashed out at Saturday Night Live for what he termed its “third-grade” jokes about his severe vision impairment. On the show, Fred Armisen portrayed Paterson, who is legally blind, as a squinting buffoon who didn’t know where he was or which way to hold a chart. Armisen’s Paterson also railed against “fancy two-eyed smart alecks.” His spokesman said SNL implied that disabled people are “incapable of having jobs with serious responsibilities.” NBC declined comment.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Your literary playlist: A guide to the music of Haruki Murakami
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- In defense of Obama's golfing
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- A trick for better lunch sandwiches
- Russia's new air force is a mystery
- The government is getting into the fact-checking business. Be very, very afraid.
- After Ferguson, we don't need another dialogue on race
Subscribe to the Week