New York Gov. David Paterson this week lashed out at Saturday Night Live for what he termed its “third-grade” jokes about his severe vision impairment. On the show, Fred Armisen portrayed Paterson, who is legally blind, as a squinting buffoon who didn’t know where he was or which way to hold a chart. Armisen’s Paterson also railed against “fancy two-eyed smart alecks.” His spokesman said SNL implied that disabled people are “incapable of having jobs with serious responsibilities.” NBC declined comment.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- 10 things you need to know today: September 1, 2014
- Your literary playlist: A guide to the music of Haruki Murakami
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- Hey, grammar nerds! Stop freaking out about 'alot.'
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
Subscribe to the Week