The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences announced that the host of February’s Academy Awards will be film and Broadway star Hugh Jackman. “Since it’s a celebration of movies, we wanted a movie star,” rather than a comedian, said producer Laurence Mark. Ratings for the Academy Awards have been steadily declining in recent years and Jackman, recently selected as People magazine’s “sexiest man alive,” is expected to draw in more female viewers. “We are trying to give the evening more of a nightclub-party feel,” said Mark.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- I hate Ayn Rand — but here's why my fellow conservatives love her
- Why Peter Capaldi has a bigger challenge than any Doctor Who in history
- Dean Koontz's 5 favorite books
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- The weird obsession that's ruining the GOP
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
- 10 things you need to know today: July 23, 2014
Subscribe to the Week