The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences announced that the host of February’s Academy Awards will be film and Broadway star Hugh Jackman. “Since it’s a celebration of movies, we wanted a movie star,” rather than a comedian, said producer Laurence Mark. Ratings for the Academy Awards have been steadily declining in recent years and Jackman, recently selected as People magazine’s “sexiest man alive,” is expected to draw in more female viewers. “We are trying to give the evening more of a nightclub-party feel,” said Mark.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Mike Huckabee's head-scratching advice to Christian voters
- How Scotland's independence movement lost the vote and still won everything
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- The American middle class is no longer safe from poverty — and that might be a good thing
- Adrian Peterson and our misguided debate about spanking
- The Tea Party has its own immigration problem: Cuba
Subscribe to the Week