The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences announced that the host of February’s Academy Awards will be film and Broadway star Hugh Jackman. “Since it’s a celebration of movies, we wanted a movie star,” rather than a comedian, said producer Laurence Mark. Ratings for the Academy Awards have been steadily declining in recent years and Jackman, recently selected as People magazine’s “sexiest man alive,” is expected to draw in more female viewers. “We are trying to give the evening more of a nightclub-party feel,” said Mark.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- Russia's giant spy ship was a high-tech disaster waiting to happen
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- On ISIS, neocons and liberal hawks have a 'boy who cried wolf' problem
- How Harry Houdini escaped death
- 10 things you need to know today: September 2, 2014
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
Subscribe to the Week