The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences announced that the host of February’s Academy Awards will be film and Broadway star Hugh Jackman. “Since it’s a celebration of movies, we wanted a movie star,” rather than a comedian, said producer Laurence Mark. Ratings for the Academy Awards have been steadily declining in recent years and Jackman, recently selected as People magazine’s “sexiest man alive,” is expected to draw in more female viewers. “We are trying to give the evening more of a nightclub-party feel,” said Mark.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The religious right isn't retreating — it's reforming
- How I lost all my money
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- China's leader is telling the People's Liberation Army to prepare for war
- How to make the ultimate grilled cheese
- Ismail Kadare's 6 favorite books
Subscribe to the Week