ood day for: Turkish shoemakers, as the Istanbul-based company that made the shoes an Iraqi journalist threw at President Bush reported soaring demand. Baydan Ayakkabicilik San. & Tic. owner Ramazan Baydan said he might change the name of the shoe, now called Model 271, to The Bush Shoe or Bye-bye Bush. “Thanks to Bush, orders are flying in like crazy,” he said. (Bloomberg)
Bad day for: A particular pair of Model 271 shoes, as security agents destroyed the shoes that Iraqi TV journalist Muntazer al-Zaidi hurled at President Bush last week. First, experts checked the footwear for explosives. (AFP via Google News)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Why is it so expensive to build a bridge in America?
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why is American internet so slow?
- What would a U.S.-China war look like?
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- The GOP must try to win over African-Americans
Subscribe to the Week