Good day for: Turkish shoemakers, as the Istanbul-based company that made the shoes an Iraqi journalist threw at President Bush reported soaring demand. Baydan Ayakkabicilik San. & Tic. owner Ramazan Baydan said he might change the name of the shoe, now called Model 271, to The Bush Shoe or Bye-bye Bush. “Thanks to Bush, orders are flying in like crazy,” he said. (Bloomberg)
Bad day for: A particular pair of Model 271 shoes, as security agents destroyed the shoes that Iraqi TV journalist Muntazer al-Zaidi hurled at President Bush last week. First, experts checked the footwear for explosives. (AFP via Google News)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
- America's anti-feminist mega-corporations' toxic disregard for women must stop
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
Subscribe to the Week