ood day for: Turkish shoemakers, as the Istanbul-based company that made the shoes an Iraqi journalist threw at President Bush reported soaring demand. Baydan Ayakkabicilik San. & Tic. owner Ramazan Baydan said he might change the name of the shoe, now called Model 271, to The Bush Shoe or Bye-bye Bush. “Thanks to Bush, orders are flying in like crazy,” he said. (Bloomberg)
Bad day for: A particular pair of Model 271 shoes, as security agents destroyed the shoes that Iraqi TV journalist Muntazer al-Zaidi hurled at President Bush last week. First, experts checked the footwear for explosives. (AFP via Google News)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- Why Easter is so important to Christians
- Wounded in Boston, two brothers endure
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
Subscribe to the Week