Good day for: Turkish shoemakers, as the Istanbul-based company that made the shoes an Iraqi journalist threw at President Bush reported soaring demand. Baydan Ayakkabicilik San. & Tic. owner Ramazan Baydan said he might change the name of the shoe, now called Model 271, to The Bush Shoe or Bye-bye Bush. “Thanks to Bush, orders are flying in like crazy,” he said. (Bloomberg)
Bad day for: A particular pair of Model 271 shoes, as security agents destroyed the shoes that Iraqi TV journalist Muntazer al-Zaidi hurled at President Bush last week. First, experts checked the footwear for explosives. (AFP via Google News)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 7 tips for keeping your man (from the 1950s)
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 4 simple steaks you can cook in a pan
- 10 ways to gain real superpowers that will change your life
- Does solar energy have a battery problem?
- Why does Fareed Zakaria still have a job?
Subscribe to the Week