Good day for: Turkish shoemakers, as the Istanbul-based company that made the shoes an Iraqi journalist threw at President Bush reported soaring demand. Baydan Ayakkabicilik San. & Tic. owner Ramazan Baydan said he might change the name of the shoe, now called Model 271, to The Bush Shoe or Bye-bye Bush. “Thanks to Bush, orders are flying in like crazy,” he said. (Bloomberg)
Bad day for: A particular pair of Model 271 shoes, as security agents destroyed the shoes that Iraqi TV journalist Muntazer al-Zaidi hurled at President Bush last week. First, experts checked the footwear for explosives. (AFP via Google News)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The uncomfortable truth in The Giving Tree
- The U.S. government is actually trouncing Ebola. When will it get credit?
- Why 2014 may be as good as it gets for the Republican Party
- 10 things you need to know today: October 22, 2014
- The simple trick to making better decisions in every aspect of life
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
Subscribe to the Week