The Dark Knight
This action film with a “disturbing psychological subtext” was easily the year’s biggest movie, said the Grand Rapids, Mich., Press. Heath Ledger, delivering his final performance, steals the screen as the Joker.
The Blu-ray version includes a documentary.
Casablanca: Ultimate Collector’s Edition
(Warner Home, $59.98)
The “most beloved film ever made” gets the treatment it deserves, said the Portland Oregonian. This “magnificent” high-def edition of the 1942 classic starring Humphrey Bogart and Ingrid Bergman includes commentary by Roger Ebert.
Man on Wire
Man on Wire is bound to earn an Oscar for Best Documentary, said USA Today. Director James Marsh traces French aerialist Philippe Petite’s high-wire walk across the World Trade Center towers in 1974
and shows how he plotted the daring feat.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The dangerously childish morality of liberal ObamaCare supporters
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- Why insects are the future of food
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How science is accelerating our search for alien life
- The Hunger Games: Mockingjay — Part 1: 10 major differences between the book and the movie
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
Subscribe to the Week