he Dark Knight
This action film with a “disturbing psychological subtext” was easily the year’s biggest movie, said the Grand Rapids, Mich., Press. Heath Ledger, delivering his final performance, steals the screen as the Joker.
The Blu-ray version includes a documentary.
Casablanca: Ultimate Collector’s Edition
(Warner Home, $59.98)
The “most beloved film ever made” gets the treatment it deserves, said the Portland Oregonian. This “magnificent” high-def edition of the 1942 classic starring Humphrey Bogart and Ingrid Bergman includes commentary by Roger Ebert.
Man on Wire
Man on Wire is bound to earn an Oscar for Best Documentary, said USA Today. Director James Marsh traces French aerialist Philippe Petite’s high-wire walk across the World Trade Center towers in 1974
and shows how he plotted the daring feat.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why are so many elderly Asians killing themselves?
- Why ABC threw its Bachelor under the bus
- Why I'm sick and tired of seeing naked women on HBO
- Why Ted Cruz is the real-life Frank Underwood
- Here's how Iran is covering Russia's invasion of Crimea
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
- Watch Zach Galifianakis get annoyed at President Obama on Between Two Ferns
- 4 easy ways to resolve life's toughest questions
- Repealing ObamaCare would now mean kicking 4.2 million people off their new insurance plans
Subscribe to the Week