The Dark Knight
This action film with a “disturbing psychological subtext” was easily the year’s biggest movie, said the Grand Rapids, Mich., Press. Heath Ledger, delivering his final performance, steals the screen as the Joker.
The Blu-ray version includes a documentary.
Casablanca: Ultimate Collector’s Edition
(Warner Home, $59.98)
The “most beloved film ever made” gets the treatment it deserves, said the Portland Oregonian. This “magnificent” high-def edition of the 1942 classic starring Humphrey Bogart and Ingrid Bergman includes commentary by Roger Ebert.
Man on Wire
Man on Wire is bound to earn an Oscar for Best Documentary, said USA Today. Director James Marsh traces French aerialist Philippe Petite’s high-wire walk across the World Trade Center towers in 1974
and shows how he plotted the daring feat.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- 10 things you need to know today: September 1, 2014
- The keys to succeeding with a job recruiter
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
Subscribe to the Week