The Dark Knight
This action film with a “disturbing psychological subtext” was easily the year’s biggest movie, said the Grand Rapids, Mich., Press. Heath Ledger, delivering his final performance, steals the screen as the Joker.
The Blu-ray version includes a documentary.
Casablanca: Ultimate Collector’s Edition
(Warner Home, $59.98)
The “most beloved film ever made” gets the treatment it deserves, said the Portland Oregonian. This “magnificent” high-def edition of the 1942 classic starring Humphrey Bogart and Ingrid Bergman includes commentary by Roger Ebert.
Man on Wire
Man on Wire is bound to earn an Oscar for Best Documentary, said USA Today. Director James Marsh traces French aerialist Philippe Petite’s high-wire walk across the World Trade Center towers in 1974
and shows how he plotted the daring feat.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 13 deliciously garlicky dishes for summer
- How a degree from Duke University dashed my dreams of buying a home
- This is why you can't trust the NSA. Ever.
- The best online movies to watch this weekend
- Half the world's population lives in these 6 countries
- Four annoying sounds you need to stop making
- Innocent before proven guilty? The bizarre bipartisan rush to clear Rick Perry
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- 10 things you need to know today: August 23, 2014
- It's time for the police to rethink 'shoot-to-kill'
Subscribe to the Week