The Dark Knight
This action film with a “disturbing psychological subtext” was easily the year’s biggest movie, said the Grand Rapids, Mich., Press. Heath Ledger, delivering his final performance, steals the screen as the Joker.
The Blu-ray version includes a documentary.
Casablanca: Ultimate Collector’s Edition
(Warner Home, $59.98)
The “most beloved film ever made” gets the treatment it deserves, said the Portland Oregonian. This “magnificent” high-def edition of the 1942 classic starring Humphrey Bogart and Ingrid Bergman includes commentary by Roger Ebert.
Man on Wire
Man on Wire is bound to earn an Oscar for Best Documentary, said USA Today. Director James Marsh traces French aerialist Philippe Petite’s high-wire walk across the World Trade Center towers in 1974
and shows how he plotted the daring feat.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 5 baffling foreign-language versions of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song
- How to make corn dogs
Subscribe to the Week