OOD DAY FOR: Ken the Plumber, as Mattel has augmented its line of Barbies and other dolls with a Little Mommy Real Loving Baby Gotta Go Doll, which triggers “potty waste” to appear when she sits on a toy toilet. The Baby Alive Learns to Potty doll is even more realistic—you feed her the included “green beans” and “bananas” and the doll passes them out the other end. Both dolls are on track to be big hits this Christmas season, to the dismay of child-development experts. (The Washington Post)
BAD DAY FOR: Profiting from your fame, as the Iraqi journalist Muntazar al-Zaidi remains in jail while the Turkish producer of the shoes he famously threw at President Bush has hired 100 extra workers to meet the surge in demand—Istanbul-based Ramazan Baydan plans to rename his Model 271 “the Bush shoe” or “Bye-Bye Bush.” Baydan’s company has received 300,000 orders for the shoe—four times its normal annual orders—since Zaidi’s shoe toss; 120,000 of the orders are from the U.S. (The Guardian)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is American internet so slow?
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- 10 things you need to know today: March 9, 2014
- Ukraine's fraught relationship with Russia: A brief history
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
Subscribe to the Week