OOD DAY FOR: Prenuptials, as falling home and other asset values have prompted a 30 percent rise in divorce inquiries in China. According to China’s state-owned media, wealthy spouses are looking into dumping their other halves while their assets are worth less. Most inquiries are about how to protect property. There were 2.1 million divorces in China in 2007. (Reuters)
BAD DAY FOR: The oldest profession, after Norway put into effect a law that makes it a crime to pay for sex. Norwegians caught hiring prostitutes, in country or abroad, face six months in jail or a hefty fine. Norway says that targeting the johns instead of the prostitutes is a more effective way to quash the sex trade. Sweden and Finland already have similar laws. (BBC News)
- 4 secret societies you probably don't know about
- This is the twistiest tongue twister ever, says science
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- Here's how crazy-long German words are made
- Battle in a blizzard
- Did God have a wife?
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- Why U.S. and British spies have moles in World of Warcraft
- The secrets of happy families
- How to stick it to the poor: A congressional strategy
Subscribe to the Week