GOOD DAY FOR: Crossing the pond, after a sharp drop in the British pound has made it about 25 percent cheaper for Americans to visit the U.K., compared with a year ago. The good times aren’t expected to last for U.S. tourists, however. “The dollar isn’t really lining itself up for a good year in 2009,” said foreign exchange analyst Stephen Gallo. (MarketWatch)
BAD DAY FOR: Using plastic, as Australian police are searching for a man who broke into three sex shops in Cairns, had sex with blow-up dolls, then dumped them in nearby alleys. “It’s totally bizarre,” said one of the sex-shop owners. “It’s a real concern that someone like that is out on the street.” (Reuters)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- The U.S. government is actually trouncing Ebola. When will it get credit?
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- Why 2014 may be as good as it gets for the Republican Party
- Why America needs more billionaires
Subscribe to the Week