OOD DAY FOR: Crossing the pond, after a sharp drop in the British pound has made it about 25 percent cheaper for Americans to visit the U.K., compared with a year ago. The good times aren’t expected to last for U.S. tourists, however. “The dollar isn’t really lining itself up for a good year in 2009,” said foreign exchange analyst Stephen Gallo. (MarketWatch)
BAD DAY FOR: Using plastic, as Australian police are searching for a man who broke into three sex shops in Cairns, had sex with blow-up dolls, then dumped them in nearby alleys. “It’s totally bizarre,” said one of the sex-shop owners. “It’s a real concern that someone like that is out on the street.” (Reuters)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How my boyfriend and I learned to live on one income
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Affirmative action is doomed. Here's what progressives should do about it.
- Why the poor's investment of choice is so alarming
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why Texas Republicans may want to cool the anti-Obama land-grab talk
- Why China's Communist Party is headed for collapse
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- How to make perfect fried rice in 6 easy steps
- Why conservatives see rural America as the 'real' America
Subscribe to the Week