GOOD DAY FOR: Crossing the pond, after a sharp drop in the British pound has made it about 25 percent cheaper for Americans to visit the U.K., compared with a year ago. The good times aren’t expected to last for U.S. tourists, however. “The dollar isn’t really lining itself up for a good year in 2009,” said foreign exchange analyst Stephen Gallo. (MarketWatch)
BAD DAY FOR: Using plastic, as Australian police are searching for a man who broke into three sex shops in Cairns, had sex with blow-up dolls, then dumped them in nearby alleys. “It’s totally bizarre,” said one of the sex-shop owners. “It’s a real concern that someone like that is out on the street.” (Reuters)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- What political elites don't understand about Scotland's push for independence
- Is 'feminism' just another word for 'liberalism'?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why gay people of color are still losing
Subscribe to the Week