aine to head Democrats
Barack Obama named Virginia Gov. Tim Kaine to head the Democratic National Committee, succeeding Howard Dean. Kaine will initially work part time as chairman, until his gubernatorial term ends, in 2010. Kaine, 50, is a rising Democratic star who was considered a possible Obama running mate. As party chief, Kaine will focus on preparing for the 2010 midterm elections, publicizing the Obama administration’s themes, and raising money.
Chief performance officer
Filling a newly created post, Barack Obama named Nancy Killefer as the administration’s chief “performance officer,” responsible for budget reform and improving government efficiency. Head of McKinsey & Co.’s public policy practice, Killefer served as the Treasury Department’s chief administrative officer from 1997 to 2000. Obama cited her expertise in “streamlining processes and wringing out inefficiencies.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why ABC threw its Bachelor under the bus
- Why are so many elderly Asians killing themselves?
- Why I'm sick and tired of seeing naked women on HBO
- Here's how Iran is covering Russia's invasion of Crimea
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
- Why Ted Cruz is the real-life Frank Underwood
- Watch Zach Galifianakis get annoyed at President Obama on Between Two Ferns
- 4 easy ways to resolve life's toughest questions
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
Subscribe to the Week