aine to head Democrats
Barack Obama named Virginia Gov. Tim Kaine to head the Democratic National Committee, succeeding Howard Dean. Kaine will initially work part time as chairman, until his gubernatorial term ends, in 2010. Kaine, 50, is a rising Democratic star who was considered a possible Obama running mate. As party chief, Kaine will focus on preparing for the 2010 midterm elections, publicizing the Obama administration’s themes, and raising money.
Chief performance officer
Filling a newly created post, Barack Obama named Nancy Killefer as the administration’s chief “performance officer,” responsible for budget reform and improving government efficiency. Head of McKinsey & Co.’s public policy practice, Killefer served as the Treasury Department’s chief administrative officer from 1997 to 2000. Obama cited her expertise in “streamlining processes and wringing out inefficiencies.”
- What to expect when you're expecting (100 years ago)
- 5 books to read before your 30th birthday
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why learning which of your Facebook friends hate you is a great idea
- How to dramatically improve your memory
- Are differences in IQ to blame for income inequality?
- Australia just scrapped its debt ceiling. America should, too.
- The indignity of canine bath time
- The 13-year-old CEO who invented a cure for hiccups
Subscribe to the Week