aine to head Democrats
Barack Obama named Virginia Gov. Tim Kaine to head the Democratic National Committee, succeeding Howard Dean. Kaine will initially work part time as chairman, until his gubernatorial term ends, in 2010. Kaine, 50, is a rising Democratic star who was considered a possible Obama running mate. As party chief, Kaine will focus on preparing for the 2010 midterm elections, publicizing the Obama administration’s themes, and raising money.
Chief performance officer
Filling a newly created post, Barack Obama named Nancy Killefer as the administration’s chief “performance officer,” responsible for budget reform and improving government efficiency. Head of McKinsey & Co.’s public policy practice, Killefer served as the Treasury Department’s chief administrative officer from 1997 to 2000. Obama cited her expertise in “streamlining processes and wringing out inefficiencies.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- How Ukraine can fend off the Russians, in 7 simple steps
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Can these 4 couples really afford their dream houses?
- How to make homemade marshmallow Peeps
- 10 things you need to know today: April 16, 2014
- How to be more satisfied with your life, according to science
Subscribe to the Week