GOOD DAY FOR: Dead ends, after police in Walnut Ridge, Ark., arrested a man for allegedly setting up a meth lab in the basement of a funeral home—across the street from the sheriff’s office. Officers walked into the funeral home through an open door to check on a light that the former employee, Robert Lee Lewis, 43, had left on in the would-be lab. (AP in FOX News)
BAD DAY FOR: Old tricks, after a Chilean man was arrested for having his girlfriend pose as his 82-year-old grandmother in a scheme to steal $80,000 from the elderly woman. The girlfriend, 21, wore a latex mask to the bank, with forged documents, and might well have fooled the clerks if one of them hadn’t called the grandmother’s home. (Reuters)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Pope Francis' American problem
- Why TheWeek.com is closing the comments section
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- A brief history of the Christmas present
Subscribe to the Week