GOOD DAY FOR: Dead ends, after police in Walnut Ridge, Ark., arrested a man for allegedly setting up a meth lab in the basement of a funeral home—across the street from the sheriff’s office. Officers walked into the funeral home through an open door to check on a light that the former employee, Robert Lee Lewis, 43, had left on in the would-be lab. (AP in FOX News)
BAD DAY FOR: Old tricks, after a Chilean man was arrested for having his girlfriend pose as his 82-year-old grandmother in a scheme to steal $80,000 from the elderly woman. The girlfriend, 21, wore a latex mask to the bank, with forged documents, and might well have fooled the clerks if one of them hadn’t called the grandmother’s home. (Reuters)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- An open letter to #brands about Gamergate
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
- The most sensible GOP alternative to ObamaCare comes from a Senate candidate who is almost sure to lose
- 'Having it all' has officially jumped the shark
- Painting the universe's portrait
- Did Republicans overshoot on the Ebola panic?
Subscribe to the Week