OOD DAY FOR: Dead ends, after police in Walnut Ridge, Ark., arrested a man for allegedly setting up a meth lab in the basement of a funeral home—across the street from the sheriff’s office. Officers walked into the funeral home through an open door to check on a light that the former employee, Robert Lee Lewis, 43, had left on in the would-be lab. (AP in FOX News)
BAD DAY FOR: Old tricks, after a Chilean man was arrested for having his girlfriend pose as his 82-year-old grandmother in a scheme to steal $80,000 from the elderly woman. The girlfriend, 21, wore a latex mask to the bank, with forged documents, and might well have fooled the clerks if one of them hadn’t called the grandmother’s home. (Reuters)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is American internet so slow?
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Ukraine's fraught relationship with Russia: A brief history
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
Subscribe to the Week