OOD DAY FOR: Passing the glass, as the International Wine and Spirit Record forecasts strong growth in global wine consumption. The report, from a French wine trade group, said demand from the U.S. and emerging economies like Russia and China would fuel the 6 percent rise between 2008 and 2012. The report also forecasts that the U.S. will overtake Italy as the top consumer of non-sparkling wine by 2012. Italy took that title from France in 2007. (AP in Yahoo! Finance)
BAD DAY FOR: A financial bailout, after police found and arrested alleged embezzler Marcus Schrenker, who apparently tried to fake his own death by parachuting out of a plane and riding off on a hidden motorcycle. Investors accuse Schrenker, a 38-year-old investment adviser, of stealing millions of dollars they had entrusted with him. When police found him, he had one slit wrist. (AP in Google News)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- How my boyfriend and I learned to live on one income
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why the poor's investment of choice is so alarming
- Why China's Communist Party is headed for collapse
- Affirmative action is doomed. Here's what progressives should do about it.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Obama's next steps on immigration
- How to make perfect fried rice in 6 easy steps
- Why conservatives see rural America as the 'real' America
Subscribe to the Week