Good week for:
George, a giant, 20-pound lobster said to be 140 years old, after the New York seafood restaurant that was displaying him in a tank agreed to set him free in the ocean rather than add him to the menu.
Zapatos, after Mexico City launched a campaign urging citizens to swallow their gum rather than spit it on the street. Officials say the average square yard of sidewalk in the city has 70 globs of discarded gum.
Making a career change, after an Australian tourist board began searching for someone to blog about living on an island in the Great Barrier Reef. Applicants must be willing to live in an oceanfront villa, swim in the pool, snorkel the reef, and lie on the beach. The six-month position pays $100,000.
Bad week for:
Divorce lawyers, after a survey by the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers found that the recession is making it too expensive for many couples to split up. Couples are “toughing it out,” the group said, until the recovery.
Loyalty, after some 200,000 people found themselves dropped from their friends’ Facebook lists when Burger King offered a free Whopper to anyone who un-friended 10 people.
Comedian Sacha Baron Cohen, who was booed by a celebrity audience at the Golden Globes for a series of jokes about celebrities cutting back in response to the recession. “Even Madonna has had to get rid of one of her personal assistants,” Cohen said. “Our thoughts go out to you, Guy Ritchie.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- This is what happens when Republicans actually enact their radical agenda
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- 10 things you need to know today: September 21, 2014
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 11 weeknight dinners you can make without a recipe
Subscribe to the Week