Solving Rubik's Cube
A British man has finally solved the Rubik’s Cube after 26 years of trying. Construction worker Graham Parker, now 45, first picked up the puzzle in 1983 at the peak of its global popularity, and though it stymied him, he kept at it obsessively after the world moved on. “I have had wrist and back problems from spending hours on it,” said Parker, “but it was all worth it. When I clicked that last bit into place and each face was a solid color, I wept.”
Too pretty for Russell Crowe
Sienna Miller has been dropped from the latest Robin Hood movie because the lithe British actress made co-star Russell Crowe, 44, look old and fat. “It’s a mess,” a source tells the New York Post. “Russell never lost the weight he put on for Body of Lies, and so the love scenes between him and Sienna would have been laughable.” Producers are frantically seeking a new Maid Marian—ideally “an older, plumper actress” who won’t make Crowe “look like a paunchy grandfather.”
This pig catches fish
A pig in rural China has taught himself to catch fish from a pond. The pig’s owner, whose name is Han, says she was “amazed” when she first saw the animal wade into the shallows of her tropical-fish pond and help himself to one of its occupants, and she has no intention of stopping him. The fish, says Han, are left over from a breeding business that folded when the price of tropical fish declined, and she is happy for the pig to get “a bit more protein in its diet.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- What is driving the increasingly weird behavior of the polar jet stream?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- Christians have no moral rationale for spanking their children
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Should you hope to die at 75? Absolutely not.
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- Why America should team up with Bashar al-Assad's regime
Subscribe to the Week