Solving Rubik's Cube
A British man has finally solved the Rubik’s Cube after 26 years of trying. Construction worker Graham Parker, now 45, first picked up the puzzle in 1983 at the peak of its global popularity, and though it stymied him, he kept at it obsessively after the world moved on. “I have had wrist and back problems from spending hours on it,” said Parker, “but it was all worth it. When I clicked that last bit into place and each face was a solid color, I wept.”
Too pretty for Russell Crowe
Sienna Miller has been dropped from the latest Robin Hood movie because the lithe British actress made co-star Russell Crowe, 44, look old and fat. “It’s a mess,” a source tells the New York Post. “Russell never lost the weight he put on for Body of Lies, and so the love scenes between him and Sienna would have been laughable.” Producers are frantically seeking a new Maid Marian—ideally “an older, plumper actress” who won’t make Crowe “look like a paunchy grandfather.”
This pig catches fish
A pig in rural China has taught himself to catch fish from a pond. The pig’s owner, whose name is Han, says she was “amazed” when she first saw the animal wade into the shallows of her tropical-fish pond and help himself to one of its occupants, and she has no intention of stopping him. The fish, says Han, are left over from a breeding business that folded when the price of tropical fish declined, and she is happy for the pig to get “a bit more protein in its diet.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- Israel has only two choices: Eliminate the Palestinians or make peace
- 9 things you probably didn't know about the moon
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why I choose not to be rich
- 29 adorable slang terms for sex (from the last 600 years)
- Here's the last time Russia shot down a passenger plane
- What if The Purge was real?
Subscribe to the Week