olving Rubik's Cube
A British man has finally solved the Rubik’s Cube after 26 years of trying. Construction worker Graham Parker, now 45, first picked up the puzzle in 1983 at the peak of its global popularity, and though it stymied him, he kept at it obsessively after the world moved on. “I have had wrist and back problems from spending hours on it,” said Parker, “but it was all worth it. When I clicked that last bit into place and each face was a solid color, I wept.”
Too pretty for Russell Crowe
Sienna Miller has been dropped from the latest Robin Hood movie because the lithe British actress made co-star Russell Crowe, 44, look old and fat. “It’s a mess,” a source tells the New York Post. “Russell never lost the weight he put on for Body of Lies, and so the love scenes between him and Sienna would have been laughable.” Producers are frantically seeking a new Maid Marian—ideally “an older, plumper actress” who won’t make Crowe “look like a paunchy grandfather.”
This pig catches fish
A pig in rural China has taught himself to catch fish from a pond. The pig’s owner, whose name is Han, says she was “amazed” when she first saw the animal wade into the shallows of her tropical-fish pond and help himself to one of its occupants, and she has no intention of stopping him. The fish, says Han, are left over from a breeding business that folded when the price of tropical fish declined, and she is happy for the pig to get “a bit more protein in its diet.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- Attack of the invasive species
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
- 10 things you need to know today: April 19, 2014
- How Captain America won over China
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
Subscribe to the Week