53% of Americans favor passage of a $775 billion stimulus package like the one Barack Obama says he will push in Congress, while 36% are opposed. 78% say they support major new government spending on highways, bridges, and other public-works projects; 18% oppose such an initiative.
For the first time in 25 years, more Americans are reading literature. 50% of adults say they read novels, short stories, plays, or poems, up 3.5% since 2002. The number of 18- to 24-year-olds who read is up nearly 9%.
National Endowment for the Arts
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 9 Harvard dropouts who became fabulously successful
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- What is Molly? Everything you need to know about the party drug
- How China sparked an Asian frenzy for killer submarines
- The dangers of our passionless American life
- The next pandemic
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
Subscribe to the Week