53% of Americans favor passage of a $775 billion stimulus package like the one Barack Obama says he will push in Congress, while 36% are opposed. 78% say they support major new government spending on highways, bridges, and other public-works projects; 18% oppose such an initiative.
For the first time in 25 years, more Americans are reading literature. 50% of adults say they read novels, short stories, plays, or poems, up 3.5% since 2002. The number of 18- to 24-year-olds who read is up nearly 9%.
National Endowment for the Arts
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- Can we lead spiritually fulfilling lives without religion?
- This is how the U.S. thinks China could invade Taiwan
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- What political elites don't understand about Scotland's push for independence
- Is 'feminism' just another word for 'liberalism'?
Subscribe to the Week