53% of Americans favor passage of a $775 billion stimulus package like the one Barack Obama says he will push in Congress, while 36% are opposed. 78% say they support major new government spending on highways, bridges, and other public-works projects; 18% oppose such an initiative.
For the first time in 25 years, more Americans are reading literature. 50% of adults say they read novels, short stories, plays, or poems, up 3.5% since 2002. The number of 18- to 24-year-olds who read is up nearly 9%.
National Endowment for the Arts
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Beware of Splenda: The backlash against artificial sugars
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Stop making fun of philosophy and read some philosophy
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How to live a long life, according to science
- Sorry, we will not all be having sex with robots in the future
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- How the brides of ISIS are attracting Western women
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
Subscribe to the Week