53% of Americans favor passage of a $775 billion stimulus package like the one Barack Obama says he will push in Congress, while 36% are opposed. 78% say they support major new government spending on highways, bridges, and other public-works projects; 18% oppose such an initiative.
For the first time in 25 years, more Americans are reading literature. 50% of adults say they read novels, short stories, plays, or poems, up 3.5% since 2002. The number of 18- to 24-year-olds who read is up nearly 9%.
National Endowment for the Arts
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- Don't argue about politics this Thanksgiving. Just don't.
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
Subscribe to the Week