53% of Americans favor passage of a $775 billion stimulus package like the one Barack Obama says he will push in Congress, while 36% are opposed. 78% say they support major new government spending on highways, bridges, and other public-works projects; 18% oppose such an initiative.
For the first time in 25 years, more Americans are reading literature. 50% of adults say they read novels, short stories, plays, or poems, up 3.5% since 2002. The number of 18- to 24-year-olds who read is up nearly 9%.
National Endowment for the Arts
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Pope Francis' American problem
- A brief history of the Christmas present
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 10 things you need to know today: December 20, 2014
- Your weekly streaming recommendation: The One I Love
Subscribe to the Week