Patrick Swayze was hospitalized last week with pneumonia, contracted after chemotherapy weakened his immune system. Swayze, 56, was diagnosed last year with Stage 4 pancreatic cancer and was initially given just weeks to live. This week he said he likely has two more years. “I’d say five years is pretty wishful thinking,” he said. “I’m going through hell, and I’ve only seen the beginning of it.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- Russia's giant spy ship was a high-tech disaster waiting to happen
- On ISIS, neocons and liberal hawks have a 'boy who cried wolf' problem
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How Harry Houdini escaped death
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- What's really limiting advances in computer tech
Subscribe to the Week