Patrick Swayze was hospitalized last week with pneumonia, contracted after chemotherapy weakened his immune system. Swayze, 56, was diagnosed last year with Stage 4 pancreatic cancer and was initially given just weeks to live. This week he said he likely has two more years. “I’d say five years is pretty wishful thinking,” he said. “I’m going through hell, and I’ve only seen the beginning of it.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 10 things you need to know today: October 22, 2014
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- Secret Service stretched mission to protect employee, report finds
- How to make corn dogs
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
Subscribe to the Week