Patrick Swayze was hospitalized last week with pneumonia, contracted after chemotherapy weakened his immune system. Swayze, 56, was diagnosed last year with Stage 4 pancreatic cancer and was initially given just weeks to live. This week he said he likely has two more years. “I’d say five years is pretty wishful thinking,” he said. “I’m going through hell, and I’ve only seen the beginning of it.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Pope Francis' American problem
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why the Sony hack changes everything
- 3 key insights about Obama from Chuck Todd's The Stranger
- 10 things you need to know today: December 19, 2014
Subscribe to the Week