GOOD DAY FOR: A white knight, after Toronto-based WIDEawake Entertainment Group won a bankruptcy-court auction to buy Suge Knight’s notorious Death Row record label. Death Row’s catalog includes influential rap albums by Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg, and Tupac Shakur. WIDEawake’s $18 million bid beat out failed or retracted offers from Warner Music and Conquest Media, among others. “We kind of expected Warner to be a little more pricey,” said WIDEawake CEO Lara Lavi. (Los Angeles Times)
BAD DAY FOR: Skipping a loan payment, after a Lithuanian debt collection agency hired a witch to hunt down derelict debtors. “Our new employee will help them to understand the situation, reconsider what is right and wrong and act accordingly,” said agency director Amantas Celkonas. Vilija Lobaciuviene, who calls herself “Lithuania’s leading witch,” is famous nationwide for predicting the future and casting spells. (AP in Google News)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Ted Cruz is the new Sarah Palin
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- Watch out, China — America is working on dogfighting drones
- How the Simpsons/Family Guy crossover revealed the worst of both shows
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Libertarianism's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad idea
- Why you probably don't have Ebola — even if you shook hands with America's 'patient zero'
Subscribe to the Week