Thanks to the economy, Steve Wynn’s latest mega-casino is actually affordable, said Christopher Reynolds in the Los Angeles Times. Opening up the $2.3 billion Encore was certainly a “gamble” for the hotelier. But the 2,034 rooms of the “bronzed skyscraper” are filling up due to a special nightly rate of $159. Connected to the Wynn, the resort boasts “72,000 feet of casino” as well as seven bars, 11 boutiques, a spa, the nightclub XS, and five restaurants, including a steakhouse named after Frank Sinatra. Contact: Encorelasvegas.com
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- In defense of Gwyneth Paltrow
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- Republicans love this new health care plan. Too bad it's basically a tax cut for the rich.
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 17 old proverbs we should use more often
- 8 tricks to surviving the holidays without gaining weight or being grouchy
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
Subscribe to the Week