Thanks to the economy, Steve Wynn’s latest mega-casino is actually affordable, said Christopher Reynolds in the Los Angeles Times. Opening up the $2.3 billion Encore was certainly a “gamble” for the hotelier. But the 2,034 rooms of the “bronzed skyscraper” are filling up due to a special nightly rate of $159. Connected to the Wynn, the resort boasts “72,000 feet of casino” as well as seven bars, 11 boutiques, a spa, the nightclub XS, and five restaurants, including a steakhouse named after Frank Sinatra. Contact: Encorelasvegas.com
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why you should absolutely watch this confounding, wonderful World Series
- Rise of the machines
- House hunting: 6 stunning historic conversions
Subscribe to the Week