Thanks to the economy, Steve Wynn’s latest mega-casino is actually affordable, said Christopher Reynolds in the Los Angeles Times. Opening up the $2.3 billion Encore was certainly a “gamble” for the hotelier. But the 2,034 rooms of the “bronzed skyscraper” are filling up due to a special nightly rate of $159. Connected to the Wynn, the resort boasts “72,000 feet of casino” as well as seven bars, 11 boutiques, a spa, the nightclub XS, and five restaurants, including a steakhouse named after Frank Sinatra. Contact: Encorelasvegas.com
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- 10 things you need to know today: October 24, 2014
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Let us now praise Billy Joel
- America's anti-feminist mega-corporations' toxic disregard for women must stop
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- An open letter to #brands about Gamergate
- Why the government should pay every American child an allowance
Subscribe to the Week