onday, Jan. 19
It’s not the 1998 blockbuster, but this classic film set on the doomed ship has its virtues, such as an Oscar-winning screenplay, fine visuals, and Barbara Stanwyck. 2 p.m., FMC
A Face in the Crowd (1957)
A recent addition to the U.S. National Film Registry, this story of a hillbilly comedian’s ascent to media demagogue still resonates. With Andy Griffith and Patricia Neal. 12:45 p.m., TCM
High Fidelity (2000)
John Cusack stars as a callow record-shop owner in Stephen Frears’ adaptation of Nick Hornby’s novel, but Jack Black steals the show as his music-obsessed clerk. 5 p.m., Starz
The crowd-pleasing fantasy-romance about a ghost out to avenge his own murder. With Patrick Swayze, Demi Moore, and Best Supporting Actress Oscar winner Whoopi Goldberg. 4 p.m., HBO
Away From Her (2006)
Julie Christie earned an Oscar nomination for her performance as a woman facing Alzheimer’s, and director/screenwriter Sarah Polley earned one for her adaptation of an Alice Munro story. 3 p.m., Showtime Showcase
Witness for the Prosecution (1957)
Charles Laughton has a field day as a wily barrister in Billy Wilder’s adaptation of Agatha Christie’s courtroom drama. With Tyrone Power, Marlene Dietrich, and a funny Elsa Lanchester. 8 p.m., TCM
The Seventh Seal (1957)
Wagering his own life, a medieval knight challenges Death to a game of chess. Max von Sydow stars in Ingmar Bergman’s classic (and much-parodied) existential drama. 8 a.m., IFC
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
- How Ukraine can fend off the Russians, in 7 simple steps
- How to be more satisfied with your life, according to science
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- These stunning travel photos remind us that we're all just amateurs with iPhones
- Israel and Russia are getting along. Have the neocons noticed?
Subscribe to the Week