“What an amazing day to be black,” said Jack White in The Root. “What an amazing day to be an American.” Barack Obama’s inauguration as the nation’s first black president doesn’t mean discrimination is over, it doesn’t mean “that America has fast-forwarded into a post-racial era.” But it does mean that we’re all undeniably “the same family now,” and that’s something Americans of every color can celebrate.
“If Obama lives up to the dreams of his biggest supporters in writing a new, post-racial chapter for America,” said Jonah Goldberg in the Los Angeles Times, “he will have at once done more for America than any Democratic president in generations. But he also will have cut the knot holding much of the left together. As an American and as a conservative, I certainly hope that's the case.”
Nobody knows yet whether Obama will make a great president, or even a good one, said Eugene Robinson in The Washington Post. Polls suggest that most think he’ll do a good job, while some people fear that Americans will become disillusioned when they discover Obama “can’t wave a magic wand and make everything better.” But one thing’s for sure: “Rarely has a new presidency been greeted with such a consensus of goodwill—and rarely has a new president so needed it.”
And rarely has a president’s inauguration represented such a giant “leap into the unknown,” said The Wall Street Journal in an editorial. Obama had such a “meteoric rise” that it’s impossible to tell whether “he is a genuine man of the left, or a more traditional pragmatist. The audacity of our hope” is that he’ll “return his party to the policies of growth, opportunity, and the vigorous defense of U.S. interests that marked it the last time the country had such great expectations for a Democratic President—under JFK.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- Why is American internet so slow?
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- The new bride who had a horrifying allergic reaction to her husband's sperm
5 surprising facts about left-handed people
Subscribe to the Week