V switch glitches
With less than a month until the Feb. 17 national switch to all-digital television signals, many consumers with older analog TV sets are reporting trouble changing over. The new converter boxes they’ve obtained to receive digital signals through rooftop or set-top antennas pull in fewer stations than with analog, while others report losing their picture frequently. Experts say many consumers will have to buy more powerful antennas or converter boxes to get a reliable digital signal.
The U.S. Postal Service this week reported a sharp jump in the number of letter carriers disciplined for hoarding or stealing mail. The Postal Service reported 333 cases of theft, delay, or destruction of mail in the past year, far higher than in previous years. Most cases involved a single piece of mail, but some letter carriers have stashed literally tons of mail for as long as a decade.
- How the strange case of Obama's Uncle Omar complicates immigration reform
- There is a better alternative to raising the minimum wage
- Is Biden helping or hurting U.S. interests in Asia?
- Watch The Daily Show use Pope Francis to hammer Fox Business pundits
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- Rick Santorum wins the prize for the worst Nelson Mandela tribute
- 5 books to read before your 30th birthday
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- Ryan Seacrest invested $1 million to transform your iPhone into a BlackBerry
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
Subscribe to the Week