V switch glitches
With less than a month until the Feb. 17 national switch to all-digital television signals, many consumers with older analog TV sets are reporting trouble changing over. The new converter boxes they’ve obtained to receive digital signals through rooftop or set-top antennas pull in fewer stations than with analog, while others report losing their picture frequently. Experts say many consumers will have to buy more powerful antennas or converter boxes to get a reliable digital signal.
The U.S. Postal Service this week reported a sharp jump in the number of letter carriers disciplined for hoarding or stealing mail. The Postal Service reported 333 cases of theft, delay, or destruction of mail in the past year, far higher than in previous years. Most cases involved a single piece of mail, but some letter carriers have stashed literally tons of mail for as long as a decade.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- Why Easter is so important to Christians
- Wounded in Boston, two brothers endure
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 7 ways to quickly become a master at anything
Subscribe to the Week