V switch glitches
With less than a month until the Feb. 17 national switch to all-digital television signals, many consumers with older analog TV sets are reporting trouble changing over. The new converter boxes they’ve obtained to receive digital signals through rooftop or set-top antennas pull in fewer stations than with analog, while others report losing their picture frequently. Experts say many consumers will have to buy more powerful antennas or converter boxes to get a reliable digital signal.
The U.S. Postal Service this week reported a sharp jump in the number of letter carriers disciplined for hoarding or stealing mail. The Postal Service reported 333 cases of theft, delay, or destruction of mail in the past year, far higher than in previous years. Most cases involved a single piece of mail, but some letter carriers have stashed literally tons of mail for as long as a decade.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Ukraine's fraught relationship with Russia: A brief history
Subscribe to the Week