Results: G’day, bait! We asked you to come up with the next tourism slogan for Australia, where they’ve been having a bit of a shark problem, and you swam in with: What happens off the coast of Australia, stays off the coast of Australia. Come for a bite! It’s jAWESOME here. We’ll throw another limb on the barbie.
Also: Come for the beach, stay for the paramedics! Save money on one-way airfare. Lose weight quickly. Have a bloody good time. The beaches are never crowded for long. And of course: Come see what’s waiting for you down under!
FIRST PRIZE: Australia: Disarmingly beautiful.
Greg Hand, Princeton, NJ
SECOND PRIZE: Come relax and get a bit behind.
Bob Perry, Milton, MA
THIRD PRIZE: Welcome to Fin City.
Fred McCord, Eugene, OR
Australia: Fun, Fins and Family. Bring the In-Laws!
Amy Lauer Golden, Princeton, FL
Come for the friends, stay for the frenzy.
Robert Linfords, Miami
Our visitors: The other white meat.
Norma Galeote, Miami Beach
Australia: Divers wanted.
Nick Ewen, Gainesville, FL
Not quite heaven, but you can get there from here.
Ramon Presson, Thompson’s Station, TN
Wouldn’t you like to know how fast you can really swim?
Robert Havlovick, Chantilly, VA
Join us in Australia: We’d love to have you for dinner!
Harry Schlachter, Brooklyn
Submissions for “What Next?” are judged by Lenore Skenazy, who also created the contest. She is a syndicated columnist, humorist, contest creator and founder of Free Range Kids. She has created humor contests for Advertising Age and The New York Daily News, and has written for a wide range of publications and been a commentator on CNBC, the Food Network and NPR. She co-authored the book, The Dysfunctional Family Christmas Songbook and the upcoming humor/quiz book, “Who’s the Blonde That Married What’s-Her-Name? The Ultimate Tip-of-the-Tongue Test of All The Things You Know You Know…But Can’t Remember Right Now” (Penguin). Her parenting book, “Free Range Kids: Giving Our Children the Freedom We Had Without Going Nuts With Worry,” is due out in April from Wiley.
You can contact her at Lskenazy@yahoo.com
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- Why states should stop limiting the alcohol content in your beer
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- Ukraine's fraught relationship with Russia: A brief history
Subscribe to the Week