oaquin Phoenix, who retired from acting in October to pursue a music career, made his first appearance as a rapper at a Las Vegas nightclub last week. Sporting long hair and a shaggy beard, Phoenix underwhelmed the crowd with a short performance before falling off the stage. The gig was filmed for a documentary, leading to speculation that the whole thing is a put-on. “This is me saying this is who I am,” said Phoenix. “Are there people out there who think I’m a joke? I’m sure there will be.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How my boyfriend and I learned to live on one income
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why Texas Republicans may want to cool the anti-Obama land-grab talk
- Why the poor's investment of choice is so alarming
- Why China's Communist Party is headed for collapse
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to make perfect fried rice in 6 easy steps
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- Why conservatives see rural America as the 'real' America
- Affirmative action is doomed. Here's what progressives should do about it.
Subscribe to the Week