Joaquin Phoenix, who retired from acting in October to pursue a music career, made his first appearance as a rapper at a Las Vegas nightclub last week. Sporting long hair and a shaggy beard, Phoenix underwhelmed the crowd with a short performance before falling off the stage. The gig was filmed for a documentary, leading to speculation that the whole thing is a put-on. “This is me saying this is who I am,” said Phoenix. “Are there people out there who think I’m a joke? I’m sure there will be.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
- America's anti-feminist mega-corporations' toxic disregard for women must stop
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- How did Rick Perry escape blame for the Texas Ebola outbreak?
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
Subscribe to the Week