Joaquin Phoenix, who retired from acting in October to pursue a music career, made his first appearance as a rapper at a Las Vegas nightclub last week. Sporting long hair and a shaggy beard, Phoenix underwhelmed the crowd with a short performance before falling off the stage. The gig was filmed for a documentary, leading to speculation that the whole thing is a put-on. “This is me saying this is who I am,” said Phoenix. “Are there people out there who think I’m a joke? I’m sure there will be.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- What is driving the increasingly weird behavior of the polar jet stream?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Christians have no moral rationale for spanking their children
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Should you hope to die at 75? Absolutely not.
- Stop hating on cyclists
- Why America should team up with Bashar al-Assad's regime
Subscribe to the Week