Joaquin Phoenix, who retired from acting in October to pursue a music career, made his first appearance as a rapper at a Las Vegas nightclub last week. Sporting long hair and a shaggy beard, Phoenix underwhelmed the crowd with a short performance before falling off the stage. The gig was filmed for a documentary, leading to speculation that the whole thing is a put-on. “This is me saying this is who I am,” said Phoenix. “Are there people out there who think I’m a joke? I’m sure there will be.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Pope Francis' American problem
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- A brief history of the Christmas present
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- Vox, derp, and the intellectual stagnation of the left
Subscribe to the Week