Joaquin Phoenix, who retired from acting in October to pursue a music career, made his first appearance as a rapper at a Las Vegas nightclub last week. Sporting long hair and a shaggy beard, Phoenix underwhelmed the crowd with a short performance before falling off the stage. The gig was filmed for a documentary, leading to speculation that the whole thing is a put-on. “This is me saying this is who I am,” said Phoenix. “Are there people out there who think I’m a joke? I’m sure there will be.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- In defense of Gwyneth Paltrow
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Republicans love this new health care plan. Too bad it's basically a tax cut for the rich.
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- Chuck Hagel wasn't the problem. It's America's addiction to endless war.
Subscribe to the Week