merican Experience: The Trials of J. Robert Oppenheimer
As head of the team that developed America’s atomic bomb, J. Robert Oppenheimer was a household name and a national hero. After World War II, he warned about the dangers of nuclear war and stood up against McCarthyism—and was publicly tried as a threat to national security. Both a nuanced portrait of a complex man and a taut courtroom drama, this documentary combines archival footage and interviews with re-enactments taken directly from transcripts. Actor David Strathairn plays Oppenheimer, and his physical resemblance to the scientist adds to the seamlessness of this portrait of a brilliant but enigmatic figure. Monday, Jan. 26, at 9 p.m., PBS; check local listings
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is American internet so slow?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Here are the people who want to take a one way trip to Mars
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Ukraine's fraught relationship with Russia: A brief history
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
Subscribe to the Week