American Experience: The Trials of J. Robert Oppenheimer
As head of the team that developed America’s atomic bomb, J. Robert Oppenheimer was a household name and a national hero. After World War II, he warned about the dangers of nuclear war and stood up against McCarthyism—and was publicly tried as a threat to national security. Both a nuanced portrait of a complex man and a taut courtroom drama, this documentary combines archival footage and interviews with re-enactments taken directly from transcripts. Actor David Strathairn plays Oppenheimer, and his physical resemblance to the scientist adds to the seamlessness of this portrait of a brilliant but enigmatic figure. Monday, Jan. 26, at 9 p.m., PBS; check local listings
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- This is how the U.S. thinks China could invade Taiwan
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- What political elites don't understand about Scotland's push for independence
- Can we lead spiritually fulfilling lives without religion?
- Obama knows he can't really 'defeat' ISIS. Americans need to wake up to that reality, too.
- Surviving a plane crash
Subscribe to the Week