American Experience: The Trials of J. Robert Oppenheimer
As head of the team that developed America’s atomic bomb, J. Robert Oppenheimer was a household name and a national hero. After World War II, he warned about the dangers of nuclear war and stood up against McCarthyism—and was publicly tried as a threat to national security. Both a nuanced portrait of a complex man and a taut courtroom drama, this documentary combines archival footage and interviews with re-enactments taken directly from transcripts. Actor David Strathairn plays Oppenheimer, and his physical resemblance to the scientist adds to the seamlessness of this portrait of a brilliant but enigmatic figure. Monday, Jan. 26, at 9 p.m., PBS; check local listings
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 5 baffling foreign-language versions of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- Bob Odenkirk's 6 favorite books
- The stories behind 22 classic album covers
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
Subscribe to the Week