OOD DAY FOR: Peanut busters, after the FDA accused the Blakely, Ga.-based Peanut Corp. of America of shipping peanut butter and peanut paste nationwide in 2007 and 2008 despite finding 12 salmonella-tainted samples of ingredients or finished products. The resulting salmonella outbreak has been linked to 501 illnesses and eight deaths in 43 states. (USA Today)
BAD DAY FOR: Extra tears, as New York State’s comptroller said that Wall Street firms cut their New York City employees’ bonuses by 44 percent in 2008, to $18.4 billion from $32.9 billion in 2007. Comptroller Thomas DiNapoli called that the largest decline ever, and the steepest percentage drop in more than 30 years, but noted that the $18.4 billion is still the sixth-largest bonus pool on record. (Reuters)
- How the strange case of Obama's Uncle Omar complicates immigration reform
- There is a better alternative to raising the minimum wage
- Rick Santorum wins the prize for the worst Nelson Mandela tribute
- Watch The Daily Show use Pope Francis to hammer Fox Business pundits
- Ryan Seacrest invested $1 million to transform your iPhone into a BlackBerry
- How Vanessa became Jacob
- Is Biden helping or hurting U.S. interests in Asia?
- This is how much extra it costs to eat healthy every day
- 'Tis the season for having sex with old flames and ruining your office reputation
Did God have a wife?
Subscribe to the Week