Suspended for waving to the president
The drum major of the Cleveland Firefighters Memorial Pipes and Drums was suspended for waving at President Obama during the Inauguration parade. John Coleman says he gave the president a quick wave as he led his men past the viewing platform because Obama waved at him first. Coleman’s superiors say that’s no excuse. “We had gone over and over time and again with everyone in the band that this was a military parade,” said Pipe Major Mike Engle. “Unfortunately, John chose to ignore that.”
Company scraps plans for Caylee doll
A Florida company is scrapping plans to sell a doll named after murdered toddler Caylee Anthony. The 18-inch “Inspirational Caylee Sunshine Doll” was to retail for $29.99 and would sing “You Are My Sunshine,” just as 2-year-old Caylee was known to do. In response to public outrage, Showbiz Promotions canceled the doll, insisting that it had simply hoped to raise awareness of child predation.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 10 things you need to know today: September 2, 2014
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
Subscribe to the Week