Suspended for waving to the president
The drum major of the Cleveland Firefighters Memorial Pipes and Drums was suspended for waving at President Obama during the Inauguration parade. John Coleman says he gave the president a quick wave as he led his men past the viewing platform because Obama waved at him first. Coleman’s superiors say that’s no excuse. “We had gone over and over time and again with everyone in the band that this was a military parade,” said Pipe Major Mike Engle. “Unfortunately, John chose to ignore that.”
Company scraps plans for Caylee doll
A Florida company is scrapping plans to sell a doll named after murdered toddler Caylee Anthony. The 18-inch “Inspirational Caylee Sunshine Doll” was to retail for $29.99 and would sing “You Are My Sunshine,” just as 2-year-old Caylee was known to do. In response to public outrage, Showbiz Promotions canceled the doll, insisting that it had simply hoped to raise awareness of child predation.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- This is how the U.S. thinks China could invade Taiwan
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Can we lead spiritually fulfilling lives without religion?
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Surviving a plane crash
- Obama knows he can't really 'defeat' ISIS. Americans need to wake up to that reality, too.
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- Lauren Bacall's remarkably honest account of Humphrey Bogart's death
Subscribe to the Week