uspended for waving to the president
The drum major of the Cleveland Firefighters Memorial Pipes and Drums was suspended for waving at President Obama during the Inauguration parade. John Coleman says he gave the president a quick wave as he led his men past the viewing platform because Obama waved at him first. Coleman’s superiors say that’s no excuse. “We had gone over and over time and again with everyone in the band that this was a military parade,” said Pipe Major Mike Engle. “Unfortunately, John chose to ignore that.”
Company scraps plans for Caylee doll
A Florida company is scrapping plans to sell a doll named after murdered toddler Caylee Anthony. The 18-inch “Inspirational Caylee Sunshine Doll” was to retail for $29.99 and would sing “You Are My Sunshine,” just as 2-year-old Caylee was known to do. In response to public outrage, Showbiz Promotions canceled the doll, insisting that it had simply hoped to raise awareness of child predation.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- Why states should stop limiting the alcohol content in your beer
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Ukraine's fraught relationship with Russia: A brief history
Subscribe to the Week