Suspended for waving to the president
The drum major of the Cleveland Firefighters Memorial Pipes and Drums was suspended for waving at President Obama during the Inauguration parade. John Coleman says he gave the president a quick wave as he led his men past the viewing platform because Obama waved at him first. Coleman’s superiors say that’s no excuse. “We had gone over and over time and again with everyone in the band that this was a military parade,” said Pipe Major Mike Engle. “Unfortunately, John chose to ignore that.”
Company scraps plans for Caylee doll
A Florida company is scrapping plans to sell a doll named after murdered toddler Caylee Anthony. The 18-inch “Inspirational Caylee Sunshine Doll” was to retail for $29.99 and would sing “You Are My Sunshine,” just as 2-year-old Caylee was known to do. In response to public outrage, Showbiz Promotions canceled the doll, insisting that it had simply hoped to raise awareness of child predation.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Pope Francis' American problem
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- A brief history of the Christmas present
- 10 things you need to know today: December 20, 2014
- Vox, derp, and the intellectual stagnation of the left
Subscribe to the Week