Suspended for waving to the president
The drum major of the Cleveland Firefighters Memorial Pipes and Drums was suspended for waving at President Obama during the Inauguration parade. John Coleman says he gave the president a quick wave as he led his men past the viewing platform because Obama waved at him first. Coleman’s superiors say that’s no excuse. “We had gone over and over time and again with everyone in the band that this was a military parade,” said Pipe Major Mike Engle. “Unfortunately, John chose to ignore that.”
Company scraps plans for Caylee doll
A Florida company is scrapping plans to sell a doll named after murdered toddler Caylee Anthony. The 18-inch “Inspirational Caylee Sunshine Doll” was to retail for $29.99 and would sing “You Are My Sunshine,” just as 2-year-old Caylee was known to do. In response to public outrage, Showbiz Promotions canceled the doll, insisting that it had simply hoped to raise awareness of child predation.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- 9 Harvard dropouts who became fabulously successful
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The real reason conservatives should be outraged that police killed a white youth
- The dangers of our passionless American life
- How China sparked an Asian frenzy for killer submarines
- The amazing resurrection of Mitt Romney
- Girls on Film: Belle is one of the most groundbreaking, joyous movies of the summer
Subscribe to the Week