Two people were arrested in the Bahamas last week in connection with an alleged plot to extort money from John Travolta following the death of his son, Jett. Several media reports said the suspects demanded $20 million in exchange for a cell phone photo of 16-year-old Jett on the way to the hospital. A paramedic who was in the ambulance was charged in the plot this week, along with a Bahamas senator who was close to the family. A third person, a former Bahamas minister of tourism, was questioned by police and denies any involvement.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 10 things you need to know today: September 23, 2014
- 4 simple steaks you can cook in a pan
- Christians have no moral rationale for spanking their children
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Should you hope to die at 75? Absolutely not.
- Why everyone got upset about Marriott's plan to increase housekeepers' pay
Subscribe to the Week