Michelle Obama last week criticized the makers of Beanie Babies for introducing a pair of dolls named Sasha and Malia. Ty Inc. says it used the names for the new dolls in its TyGirlz line because they are “beautiful names,” not because they happen to be the names of the First Daughters. “There’s nothing on the dolls that refers to the Obama girls,” said a spokeswoman. In a statement, Michelle Obama said it was “inappropriate to use young, private citizens for marketing purposes.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- 10 things you need to know today: November 26, 2014
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- In defense of Gwyneth Paltrow
- Republicans love this new health care plan. Too bad it's basically a tax cut for the rich.
Subscribe to the Week