ichelle Obama last week criticized the makers of Beanie Babies for introducing a pair of dolls named Sasha and Malia. Ty Inc. says it used the names for the new dolls in its TyGirlz line because they are “beautiful names,” not because they happen to be the names of the First Daughters. “There’s nothing on the dolls that refers to the Obama girls,” said a spokeswoman. In a statement, Michelle Obama said it was “inappropriate to use young, private citizens for marketing purposes.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The sexual politics of Game of Thrones just got enormously worse
- The case for killing law school
- Aereo at the Supreme Court: No matter what, broadcasters lose
- Mad Men recap: 'A Day's Work'
- Putin's risky bet in eastern Ukraine
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- The Democrats have a mega-donor problem
- 10 things you need to know today: April 21, 2014
Subscribe to the Week