Michelle Obama last week criticized the makers of Beanie Babies for introducing a pair of dolls named Sasha and Malia. Ty Inc. says it used the names for the new dolls in its TyGirlz line because they are “beautiful names,” not because they happen to be the names of the First Daughters. “There’s nothing on the dolls that refers to the Obama girls,” said a spokeswoman. In a statement, Michelle Obama said it was “inappropriate to use young, private citizens for marketing purposes.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- This is how the U.S. thinks China could invade Taiwan
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Can we lead spiritually fulfilling lives without religion?
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Surviving a plane crash
- Obama knows he can't really 'defeat' ISIS. Americans need to wake up to that reality, too.
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- Lauren Bacall's remarkably honest account of Humphrey Bogart's death
Subscribe to the Week