Michelle Obama last week criticized the makers of Beanie Babies for introducing a pair of dolls named Sasha and Malia. Ty Inc. says it used the names for the new dolls in its TyGirlz line because they are “beautiful names,” not because they happen to be the names of the First Daughters. “There’s nothing on the dolls that refers to the Obama girls,” said a spokeswoman. In a statement, Michelle Obama said it was “inappropriate to use young, private citizens for marketing purposes.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why torture doesn't work: A definitive guide
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Hey, bosses: Stop giving bonuses to your employees
- You should be furious about Hollywood's gutless retreat on The Interview
- Why the Sony hack changes everything
- Capitalism isn't a cure-all for Cuba
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
Subscribe to the Week