ichelle Obama last week criticized the makers of Beanie Babies for introducing a pair of dolls named Sasha and Malia. Ty Inc. says it used the names for the new dolls in its TyGirlz line because they are “beautiful names,” not because they happen to be the names of the First Daughters. “There’s nothing on the dolls that refers to the Obama girls,” said a spokeswoman. In a statement, Michelle Obama said it was “inappropriate to use young, private citizens for marketing purposes.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Why is it so expensive to build a bridge in America?
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why is American internet so slow?
- What would a U.S.-China war look like?
- The GOP must try to win over African-Americans
Subscribe to the Week