Embattled Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich considered offering Barack Obama’s vacated Senate seat to talk-show queen Oprah Winfrey. “She was obviously someone with a much broader bully pulpit than other senators,” Blagojevich told Good Morning America this week. But he didn’t follow through, explaining, “If you offered it to her, how would you do it in a way that didn’t look like it was some gimmick and embarrass her?”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- How the South's ugly racial history is haunting ObamaCare
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Beware of Splenda: The backlash against artificial sugars
- If Democrats abandon immigration reform after Tuesday's likely loss, they will turn 2016 into a debacle
- What if Leo Strauss was right?
- Stop making fun of philosophy and read some philosophy
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The culture war finally comes to the Catholic Church
Subscribe to the Week