Embattled Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich considered offering Barack Obama’s vacated Senate seat to talk-show queen Oprah Winfrey. “She was obviously someone with a much broader bully pulpit than other senators,” Blagojevich told Good Morning America this week. But he didn’t follow through, explaining, “If you offered it to her, how would you do it in a way that didn’t look like it was some gimmick and embarrass her?”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- Let us now praise Billy Joel
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Everything you need to know about the voter ID controversy
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
Subscribe to the Week