Prepare it. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Salt meat all over, preferably with “Diamond Crystal salt.” Heat skillet on burner set to high and “let it get scary hot.” Pour in a thin layer of oil—one with a “high smoking point, like grapeseed or canola oil.”
Sear it. Wait until the oil’s “so hot it’s shimmering and sort of waving a little, maybe even giving off a first wisp of smoke.” At this point, lay down steak and sear for minute or two. Flip over and brown other side.
Roast it. Pick up entire skillet and put into the oven for five or six minutes, “depending on the steak’s thickness.” Check temperature with an “instant read meat thermometer.” As a guide, “115 degrees is at the very rare end of rare.”
Let it sit. Remove steak and let sit for at least five minutes, “so the muscle relaxes and the juices can spread around again.”
Source: Men’s Journal.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- How Harry Houdini escaped death
- What is Molly? Everything you need to know about the party drug
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- Russia's giant spy ship was a high-tech disaster waiting to happen
- On ISIS, neocons and liberal hawks have a 'boy who cried wolf' problem
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
Subscribe to the Week