repare it. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Salt meat all over, preferably with “Diamond Crystal salt.” Heat skillet on burner set to high and “let it get scary hot.” Pour in a thin layer of oil—one with a “high smoking point, like grapeseed or canola oil.”
Sear it. Wait until the oil’s “so hot it’s shimmering and sort of waving a little, maybe even giving off a first wisp of smoke.” At this point, lay down steak and sear for minute or two. Flip over and brown other side.
Roast it. Pick up entire skillet and put into the oven for five or six minutes, “depending on the steak’s thickness.” Check temperature with an “instant read meat thermometer.” As a guide, “115 degrees is at the very rare end of rare.”
Let it sit. Remove steak and let sit for at least five minutes, “so the muscle relaxes and the juices can spread around again.”
Source: Men’s Journal.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How my boyfriend and I learned to live on one income
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Affirmative action is doomed. Here's what progressives should do about it.
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why the poor's investment of choice is so alarming
- Why Texas Republicans may want to cool the anti-Obama land-grab talk
- Why conservatives see rural America as the 'real' America
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- Why China's Communist Party is headed for collapse
- How to make perfect fried rice in 6 easy steps
Subscribe to the Week