Prepare it. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Salt meat all over, preferably with “Diamond Crystal salt.” Heat skillet on burner set to high and “let it get scary hot.” Pour in a thin layer of oil—one with a “high smoking point, like grapeseed or canola oil.”
Sear it. Wait until the oil’s “so hot it’s shimmering and sort of waving a little, maybe even giving off a first wisp of smoke.” At this point, lay down steak and sear for minute or two. Flip over and brown other side.
Roast it. Pick up entire skillet and put into the oven for five or six minutes, “depending on the steak’s thickness.” Check temperature with an “instant read meat thermometer.” As a guide, “115 degrees is at the very rare end of rare.”
Let it sit. Remove steak and let sit for at least five minutes, “so the muscle relaxes and the juices can spread around again.”
Source: Men’s Journal.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Everything you need to know about the voter ID controversy
- 10 things you need to know today: October 25, 2014
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Let us now praise Billy Joel
Subscribe to the Week