repare it. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Salt meat all over, preferably with “Diamond Crystal salt.” Heat skillet on burner set to high and “let it get scary hot.” Pour in a thin layer of oil—one with a “high smoking point, like grapeseed or canola oil.”
Sear it. Wait until the oil’s “so hot it’s shimmering and sort of waving a little, maybe even giving off a first wisp of smoke.” At this point, lay down steak and sear for minute or two. Flip over and brown other side.
Roast it. Pick up entire skillet and put into the oven for five or six minutes, “depending on the steak’s thickness.” Check temperature with an “instant read meat thermometer.” As a guide, “115 degrees is at the very rare end of rare.”
Let it sit. Remove steak and let sit for at least five minutes, “so the muscle relaxes and the juices can spread around again.”
Source: Men’s Journal.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
- Why Good Friday is so important to Christians
Subscribe to the Week