repare it. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Salt meat all over, preferably with “Diamond Crystal salt.” Heat skillet on burner set to high and “let it get scary hot.” Pour in a thin layer of oil—one with a “high smoking point, like grapeseed or canola oil.”
Sear it. Wait until the oil’s “so hot it’s shimmering and sort of waving a little, maybe even giving off a first wisp of smoke.” At this point, lay down steak and sear for minute or two. Flip over and brown other side.
Roast it. Pick up entire skillet and put into the oven for five or six minutes, “depending on the steak’s thickness.” Check temperature with an “instant read meat thermometer.” As a guide, “115 degrees is at the very rare end of rare.”
Let it sit. Remove steak and let sit for at least five minutes, “so the muscle relaxes and the juices can spread around again.”
Source: Men’s Journal.
- Mexico's unluckiest thieves stole enough radioactive waste to make a dirty bomb
- 5 books to read before your 30th birthday
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- What to expect when you're expecting (100 years ago)
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- Australia just scrapped its debt ceiling. America should, too.
- Why learning which of your Facebook friends hate you is a great idea
- 10 works of literature that were exceptionally hard to write
- 32 TV shows to watch in 2013 [Updated]
- How to dramatically improve your memory
Subscribe to the Week