“Jessica Simpson might not like the reason for her latest comeback,” said Lorena Blas in USA Today. The singer was off the radar for months before her extra curvy look at a recent Florida concert launched a flurry of stories about her weight. Suddenly, she’s getting more media attention than ever—but it’s insulting.
Simpson isn’t afraid of the tabloids, said Wendy Grossman and Mike Fleeman in People. If she were, she wouldn’t have worn skin-tight leather pants on stage after “the flap over her figure.” But there she was, days after the Florida appearance, strutting before an audience in Virginia, chiding the gossip writers for their “completely pointless” focus.
You can hardly blame people for noticing, said David K. Li in the New York Post. Fans are used to seeing her squeezed into a pair of Daisy Dukes, so when she showed up in Florida wearing “an outfit that accentuated every unflattering curve of her 5-foot-3 frame,” what were gossip columnists supposed to do, ignore it?
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- This is what happens when Republicans actually enact their radical agenda
- How I dug myself out of debt — and stayed that way
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 11 weeknight dinners you can make without a recipe
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- If Scotland leaves the union, is Northern Ireland next?
- America is doomed! (And other thoughts on our gloomy historical moment.)
Subscribe to the Week