“Jessica Simpson might not like the reason for her latest comeback,” said Lorena Blas in USA Today. The singer was off the radar for months before her extra curvy look at a recent Florida concert launched a flurry of stories about her weight. Suddenly, she’s getting more media attention than ever—but it’s insulting.
Simpson isn’t afraid of the tabloids, said Wendy Grossman and Mike Fleeman in People. If she were, she wouldn’t have worn skin-tight leather pants on stage after “the flap over her figure.” But there she was, days after the Florida appearance, strutting before an audience in Virginia, chiding the gossip writers for their “completely pointless” focus.
You can hardly blame people for noticing, said David K. Li in the New York Post. Fans are used to seeing her squeezed into a pair of Daisy Dukes, so when she showed up in Florida wearing “an outfit that accentuated every unflattering curve of her 5-foot-3 frame,” what were gossip columnists supposed to do, ignore it?
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Ban PowerPoint!
- Why you should absolutely watch this confounding, wonderful World Series
Subscribe to the Week