OOD DAY FOR: A mermaid-clown smackdown, after Starbucks unveiled the outlines of a breakfast value meal, to stem declining sales amid a souring economy and increasing coffee competition from value-meal veterans McDonald’s and Dunkin’ Donuts. McDonald’s foray into espresso drinks—they are sold at about 7,000 locations—has been profitable and is likely sapping customers from the slightly costlier Starbucks. (AP in FOX News)
BAD DAY FOR: Ticket prices, after dominant concert promoter Live Nation and ticket giant Ticketmaster were reported to be in last-state merger talks. The resulting music recording, management, and promotion powerhouse would be worth about $700 million and have ties to more than 200 artists, including Madonna, Jay-Z, Miley Cyrus, and the Eagles. The deal, if finalized, is expected to face a stiff antitrust challenge. (Reuters)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why is American internet so slow?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- The new bride who had a horrifying allergic reaction to her husband's sperm
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The Daily Show's Aasif Mandvi dismantles another ObamaCare myth
Subscribe to the Week