OOD DAY FOR: A mermaid-clown smackdown, after Starbucks unveiled the outlines of a breakfast value meal, to stem declining sales amid a souring economy and increasing coffee competition from value-meal veterans McDonald’s and Dunkin’ Donuts. McDonald’s foray into espresso drinks—they are sold at about 7,000 locations—has been profitable and is likely sapping customers from the slightly costlier Starbucks. (AP in FOX News)
BAD DAY FOR: Ticket prices, after dominant concert promoter Live Nation and ticket giant Ticketmaster were reported to be in last-state merger talks. The resulting music recording, management, and promotion powerhouse would be worth about $700 million and have ties to more than 200 artists, including Madonna, Jay-Z, Miley Cyrus, and the Eagles. The deal, if finalized, is expected to face a stiff antitrust challenge. (Reuters)
- The 10 worst-reviewed movies of 2013
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- The secrets of happy families
- Watch The Daily Show mock the NSA and the gamers they're spying on
- How did Love Actually become so controversial? A theory
- The U.S. auto bailout is officially over. Here's what America lost and gained.
- 13 countries where gay marriage is legal [Updated]
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- 9 negative effects divorce reportedly has on children
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
Subscribe to the Week