OOD DAY FOR: A mermaid-clown smackdown, after Starbucks unveiled the outlines of a breakfast value meal, to stem declining sales amid a souring economy and increasing coffee competition from value-meal veterans McDonald’s and Dunkin’ Donuts. McDonald’s foray into espresso drinks—they are sold at about 7,000 locations—has been profitable and is likely sapping customers from the slightly costlier Starbucks. (AP in FOX News)
BAD DAY FOR: Ticket prices, after dominant concert promoter Live Nation and ticket giant Ticketmaster were reported to be in last-state merger talks. The resulting music recording, management, and promotion powerhouse would be worth about $700 million and have ties to more than 200 artists, including Madonna, Jay-Z, Miley Cyrus, and the Eagles. The deal, if finalized, is expected to face a stiff antitrust challenge. (Reuters)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- How Ukraine can fend off the Russians, in 7 simple steps
- Israel and Russia are getting along. Have the neocons noticed?
- How to make homemade marshmallow Peeps
- These stunning travel photos remind us that we're all just amateurs with iPhones
Subscribe to the Week