Tom Daschle has just humbled President Obama, said Charles Babington of the Associated Press in Yahoo News. “Obama's rocket ride to the White House” and “his smooth, I-don't-sweat style” made him seem invincible. But Daschle’s withdrawal as health-secretary-designate over tax troubles left Obama with nothing to say but, “I screwed up.”
Too bad it took a "cascade of appointees who 'forgot' to pay taxes" to shake Obama’s arrogant attitude, said Maureen Dowd in The New York Times. Americans have been betrayed by bankers and the Bush administration, and it was beginning to look like Obama thought the lofty standards he's been lecturing us about didn't apply to his "charmed circle." Some debut.
Daschle got out in time to spare the president from "a bipartisan populist revolt," said The Wall Street Journal in an editorial. But not before shining a light on the riches that the president's would-be Health and Human Services secretary piled up working for health-care companies. "So much for promising to vanquish the lobbyists."
Okay, so the "seemingly well-oiled" Obama juggernaut isn't humming as smoothly as usual, said The Washington Post in an editorial. But Daschle will soon be a footnote. Meanwhile, Obama's selection of a real conservative—Sen. Judd Gregg—as commerce secretary showed that the president is open to bipartisan solutions to old problems, as promised.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- Want to eliminate the scourge of frat culture? Lower the drinking age.
- Alien conspiracy theorists think the government is on the verge of spilling big secrets
- The dangerously childish morality of liberal ObamaCare supporters
- Yes, the Obama administration's green loans are unprofitable. They should be.
- House hunting: 7 stunning castles in Europe
Subscribe to the Week