Good week for:
Odyssey Marine Exploration, a Tampa-based treasure-hunting company, which announced that it had discovered the wreck of the HMS Victory, which sank in the English Channel in 1744. The British warship may have been carrying 4 tons of gold coins, now worth $1 billion.
Aretha Franklin, after curators of the Smithsonian exhibit on Barack Obama’s inauguration asked her to donate her now-infamous “bow hat,’’ festooned with a giant, bejeweled bow.
Public displays of affection, after India’s high court overturned an obscenity charge against a young married couple who had been arrested for kissing in public. Police had reported that the couple were “sitting in an objectionable position … and kissing each other, due to which passers-by were feeling bad.”
Bad week for:
Gratitude, after Saddam Hussein’s hometown of Tikrit erected a 6-foot statue of a shoe in honor of Muntazer al-Zaidi, the journalist who threw his shoes at President Bush on his final visit to Iraq.
Consistency, after the White House admitted that President Obama—who says we can no longer keep “our homes at 72 degrees at all times”—has cranked up the thermostat in the Oval Office. “You could grow orchids in there,’’ admitted advisor David Axelrod. “He’s from Hawaii, okay? He likes it warm.”
An early spring, after New York Mayor Mike Bloomberg was bitten by a groundhog that he tried to drag out of its hutch to predict the end of winter. A bandaged Bloomberg later described Chuck as “a terrorist rodent who could very well have been trained by al Qaida in Afghanistan.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 10 things you need to know today: November 27, 2014
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- Why the poor can't catch a break on Thanksgiving
- How to deep fry a turkey
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
Subscribe to the Week