Republican for Commerce
President Obama nominated New Hampshire Sen. Judd Gregg for Commerce secretary. He would be the third Republican in Obama’s Cabinet, after Defense Secretary Robert Gates and Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood. Gregg, who once proposed eliminating the Commerce Department, only agreed to the appointment when he was assured his replacement would be a Republican.
Reforming the FDA
The Obama administration promised to overhaul Food and Drug Administration regulations, following charges that the company at the center of a massive food recall knowingly shipped salmonella-tainted peanut butter. The FDA last week ordered a recall of products made by Peanut Corp. of America, but current regulations required the agency to first seek the company’s approval before the recall could proceed. Obama said he favored a “stricter regulatory structure.”
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 5 books to read before your 30th birthday
- The logic behind the world's 4 weirdest strategic reserves
- Is it possible to live forever?
- What to expect when you're expecting (100 years ago)
- Remembering Nelson Mandela: The world's front pages
- 7 health benefits of playing video games
- Remembering Nelson Mandela: A tribute in photos and prose
- 6 photos that Facebook controversially banned
The history of Santa Claus: 7 interesting facts
Subscribe to the Week