Michelle Obama won’t pay a fortune to decorate her daughters’ new rooms at the White House, said Us Weekly. The First Lady has instructed celebrity interior decorator Michael Smith to furnish the rooms of Sasha and Malia with items from Pottery Barn and Anthropologie. Ten-year-old Malia, however, still plans to do her homework on the desk where Abraham Lincoln wrote the Emancipation Proclamation.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- 5 baffling foreign-language versions of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Bob Odenkirk's 6 favorite books
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
Subscribe to the Week