il Wayne has had quite a year, said Jayson Rodriguez MTV.com. Not only was the rapper the top-selling artist of 2008, he also won Best Hip-Hop Video honors at the VMAs. And now, “according to most music experts, Wayne will be walking away with the Best Rap Album award" at the 2009 Grammy Awards on Sunday.
The question is: Does Lil Wayne really want it? said Jim Harrington and Shay Quillen in the San Jose Mercury News. Winning a Grammy can be a “blessing or a curse.” Sometimes “an impressive outing at the Grammys can be a huge boost in an artist's career.” But on the flip side, “many big Grammy winners have immediately fallen off the musical map.”
Lil Wayne has nothing to worry about, said Tom O’Neil in the Los Angeles Times. “Rock voters will be split between Coldplay and Radiohead and urban voters will be split between Lil Wayne and Ne-Yo, leaving Robert Plant and Alison Krauss to win.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Attack of the invasive species
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
- 10 things you need to know today: April 19, 2014
- How Captain America won over China
- What The Americans gets wrong about Russian spies
Subscribe to the Week