Talking back to bin Laden
The White House says the latest video released by Osama bin Laden only shows that the terrorist mastermind is "impotent." If this is the worst bin Laden can do we're in good shape, said James Robbins in National Review Online. The tape is a remi
Atop White House official said Sunday that Osama bin Laden’s latest video message showed that the al Qaida terrorist mastermind was “impotent.” Frances Townsend, President Bush’s homeland security advisor, said bin Laden is “a man on the run” whose only make threats. “This is about the best he can do,” Townsend said.
“The new bin Laden videotape is a great disappointment,” said James S. Robbins in National Review Online. “No new threats, no new deals, just a new beard, if it is even real.” He claims the “real terrorism” is global warming, and that the U.S. is making its own people suffer under credit-card and mortgage debt. “Please.”
Experts have sounded off on everything from the color of Osama’s beard to his opinion on the U.S. housing market, said USA Today in an editorial. But the tape, released Friday to mark tomorrow’s anniversary of the 9/11 attacks, had undeniable significance. It was “a reminder of unfinished business.”
Six years ago, “we saw people rushing into the World Trade Center site to search for survivors and recover bodies,” said Leonard Pitts Jr. in The Seattle Times (free registration). President Bush vowed to bring in bin Laden “dead or alive.” Now we’re all so distracted by “a war of choice that had nothing to do with the terrorist attacks” that “we don’t think about bin Laden much these days.” Maybe we should try a little harder to remember the day the “skyscrapers fell.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Is 'feminism' just another word for 'liberalism'?
- What political elites don't understand about Scotland's push for independence
- The U.S. dollar has been strengthening for 3 straight years! (That's not good news.)
- Obama knows he can't really 'defeat' ISIS. Americans need to wake up to that reality, too.
- Why gay people of color are still losing
Subscribe to the Week