GOOD DAY FOR: Hitting the off button, after a British woman started divorce proceedings because she caught her husband engaging in “gay dungeon romps” in the online world Second Life. Lisa Best said she woke up to find her husband, John, next to her in bed with a laptop, having virtual gay sex. “There were three in our marriage—myself, John, and his laptop,” she said. (News of the World, via The Inquisitr)
BAD DAY FOR: A happy New Year, after a blaze sparked by a fireworks display destroyed a 44-story building next to the iconic new headquarters of China Central Television. Both the destroyed Television Cultural Center building—home of the Mandarin Oriental Hotel Beijing—and the CCTV Tower were designed by noted architect Rem Koolhaas. CCTV said an employee was responsible for the unauthorized fireworks display, to celebrate the end of the Lunar New Year. The blaze killed one person and cost tens of millions of dollars in damages. (The Wall Street Journal)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The U.S. government is actually trouncing Ebola. When will it get credit?
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- 5 baffling foreign-language versions of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
Subscribe to the Week