GOOD DAY FOR: Hitting the off button, after a British woman started divorce proceedings because she caught her husband engaging in “gay dungeon romps” in the online world Second Life. Lisa Best said she woke up to find her husband, John, next to her in bed with a laptop, having virtual gay sex. “There were three in our marriage—myself, John, and his laptop,” she said. (News of the World, via The Inquisitr)
BAD DAY FOR: A happy New Year, after a blaze sparked by a fireworks display destroyed a 44-story building next to the iconic new headquarters of China Central Television. Both the destroyed Television Cultural Center building—home of the Mandarin Oriental Hotel Beijing—and the CCTV Tower were designed by noted architect Rem Koolhaas. CCTV said an employee was responsible for the unauthorized fireworks display, to celebrate the end of the Lunar New Year. The blaze killed one person and cost tens of millions of dollars in damages. (The Wall Street Journal)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- Israel has only two choices: Eliminate the Palestinians or make peace
- 9 things you probably didn't know about the moon
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 29 adorable slang terms for sex (from the last 600 years)
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why I choose not to be rich
- What if The Purge was real?
- Israel's invasion of Gaza shows peace talks were a sham all along
Subscribe to the Week