GOOD DAY FOR: Hitting the off button, after a British woman started divorce proceedings because she caught her husband engaging in “gay dungeon romps” in the online world Second Life. Lisa Best said she woke up to find her husband, John, next to her in bed with a laptop, having virtual gay sex. “There were three in our marriage—myself, John, and his laptop,” she said. (News of the World, via The Inquisitr)
BAD DAY FOR: A happy New Year, after a blaze sparked by a fireworks display destroyed a 44-story building next to the iconic new headquarters of China Central Television. Both the destroyed Television Cultural Center building—home of the Mandarin Oriental Hotel Beijing—and the CCTV Tower were designed by noted architect Rem Koolhaas. CCTV said an employee was responsible for the unauthorized fireworks display, to celebrate the end of the Lunar New Year. The blaze killed one person and cost tens of millions of dollars in damages. (The Wall Street Journal)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- Why so many Christians won't back down on gay marriage
- How Pope Francis could turn out to be a stealth reformer
Subscribe to the Week