There is one state secret in America, said Gao Tiejun in China's People's Daily (via Watching America), that is known only to President Obama's "real henchmen"—the president's e-mail address. Defense Secretary Robert Gates doesn't know "the most secret e-mail address in the world," nor does House Speaker Nancy Pelosi. So who on earth are the new president's henchmen? It was easy to spot the henchmen of Bill Clinton—anybody invited to sleep in the Lincoln bedroom probably qualified. Anyone summoned to George W. Bush's “farmland in Texas to enjoy barbecue and field work” could be counted as one of his goons. But identifying the presidential henchmen will be harder with Obama, who probably has old friends from Chicago and other shadowy operatives lurking, ready to do his bidding. The rest of the world can only wonder who the henchmen are.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 10 things you need to know today: September 1, 2014
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Your literary playlist: A guide to the music of Haruki Murakami
Subscribe to the Week