There is one state secret in America, said Gao Tiejun in China's People's Daily (via Watching America), that is known only to President Obama's "real henchmen"—the president's e-mail address. Defense Secretary Robert Gates doesn't know "the most secret e-mail address in the world," nor does House Speaker Nancy Pelosi. So who on earth are the new president's henchmen? It was easy to spot the henchmen of Bill Clinton—anybody invited to sleep in the Lincoln bedroom probably qualified. Anyone summoned to George W. Bush's “farmland in Texas to enjoy barbecue and field work” could be counted as one of his goons. But identifying the presidential henchmen will be harder with Obama, who probably has old friends from Chicago and other shadowy operatives lurking, ready to do his bidding. The rest of the world can only wonder who the henchmen are.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The latent sexism of the male marriage proposal
- Bush vs. Clinton in 2016 is the perfect way to make millennials hate politics even more
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- The week's best photojournalism
- This judge is the reason we're still fighting over net neutrality
- Everything you need to know about Japan's population crisis
Subscribe to the Week