Student expelled for fake rifles
A Colorado high school senior faces expulsion for having three fake rifles in the back of her car, even though she’s a member of the Young Marines drill team. Marie Morrow, who has a 3.5 grade-point average, uses the wooden rifles during drill practice. But school-district policy prescribes “mandatory expulsion” for any student found with even life-like facsimiles of weapons. “You have to remember,” said a district spokeswoman, “these rules were implemented in the years after Columbine.”
Alcoholic blames bar staff and sues hotel for accident
A Florida man who got drunk and fell down a flight of stairs on vacation is suing for compensation. Admitted alcoholic Michael Fenton suffered brain damage in the 100-foot tumble. His family blames the bar staff at the Marco Island Marriott Resort and Spa for getting him drunk. “Michael Fenton became openly and obviously intoxicated,” the suit says, and should not have been served.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- The U.S. government is actually trouncing Ebola. When will it get credit?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The uncomfortable truth in The Giving Tree
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- The simple trick to making better decisions in every aspect of life
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Why America needs more billionaires
Subscribe to the Week