tudent expelled for fake rifles
A Colorado high school senior faces expulsion for having three fake rifles in the back of her car, even though she’s a member of the Young Marines drill team. Marie Morrow, who has a 3.5 grade-point average, uses the wooden rifles during drill practice. But school-district policy prescribes “mandatory expulsion” for any student found with even life-like facsimiles of weapons. “You have to remember,” said a district spokeswoman, “these rules were implemented in the years after Columbine.”
Alcoholic blames bar staff and sues hotel for accident
A Florida man who got drunk and fell down a flight of stairs on vacation is suing for compensation. Admitted alcoholic Michael Fenton suffered brain damage in the 100-foot tumble. His family blames the bar staff at the Marco Island Marriott Resort and Spa for getting him drunk. “Michael Fenton became openly and obviously intoxicated,” the suit says, and should not have been served.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- 10 things you need to know today: April 16, 2014
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Can these 4 couples really afford their dream houses?
- How to be more satisfied with your life, according to science
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The contentious policy at the heart of Cliven Bundy's armed standoff with the government
- There's a number of reasons the grammar of this headline could infuriate you
Subscribe to the Week