tudent expelled for fake rifles
A Colorado high school senior faces expulsion for having three fake rifles in the back of her car, even though she’s a member of the Young Marines drill team. Marie Morrow, who has a 3.5 grade-point average, uses the wooden rifles during drill practice. But school-district policy prescribes “mandatory expulsion” for any student found with even life-like facsimiles of weapons. “You have to remember,” said a district spokeswoman, “these rules were implemented in the years after Columbine.”
Alcoholic blames bar staff and sues hotel for accident
A Florida man who got drunk and fell down a flight of stairs on vacation is suing for compensation. Admitted alcoholic Michael Fenton suffered brain damage in the 100-foot tumble. His family blames the bar staff at the Marco Island Marriott Resort and Spa for getting him drunk. “Michael Fenton became openly and obviously intoxicated,” the suit says, and should not have been served.
- What to expect when you're expecting (100 years ago)
- 5 books to read before your 30th birthday
- Why learning which of your Facebook friends hate you is a great idea
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- Are differences in IQ to blame for income inequality?
- How to dramatically improve your memory
- The man who sued his wife for birthing an ugly baby
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Australia just scrapped its debt ceiling. America should, too.
- The indignity of canine bath time
Subscribe to the Week