Student expelled for fake rifles
A Colorado high school senior faces expulsion for having three fake rifles in the back of her car, even though she’s a member of the Young Marines drill team. Marie Morrow, who has a 3.5 grade-point average, uses the wooden rifles during drill practice. But school-district policy prescribes “mandatory expulsion” for any student found with even life-like facsimiles of weapons. “You have to remember,” said a district spokeswoman, “these rules were implemented in the years after Columbine.”
Alcoholic blames bar staff and sues hotel for accident
A Florida man who got drunk and fell down a flight of stairs on vacation is suing for compensation. Admitted alcoholic Michael Fenton suffered brain damage in the 100-foot tumble. His family blames the bar staff at the Marco Island Marriott Resort and Spa for getting him drunk. “Michael Fenton became openly and obviously intoxicated,” the suit says, and should not have been served.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The mystery behind China's aggressive push into space
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- The best places to find love — and lust — according to science
- Sex can't explain the culture war
- How the battle for religious freedom became a nonsensical free-for-all
- Why GOP reformers are bound to fail
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why you should really take a nap this afternoon, according to science
- Ukraine's fraught relationship with Russia: A brief history
Subscribe to the Week