Miley Cyrus this week apologized for having her photo taken using her fingers to slant her eyes in a manner offensive to Asian people. The snapshot, which leaked on the Internet, showed the 16-year-old singer and her friends making the mocking face as they posed with another friend, who is Asian. Cyrus initially said she was “simply making a goofy face” and had not done anything wrong. This week she said the photo was “unintentionally hurtful” but apologized to people who found it offensive.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Mike Huckabee's head-scratching advice to Christian voters
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why so many Christians won't back down on gay marriage
- How Scotland's independence movement lost the vote and still won everything
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
Subscribe to the Week