Miley Cyrus this week apologized for having her photo taken using her fingers to slant her eyes in a manner offensive to Asian people. The snapshot, which leaked on the Internet, showed the 16-year-old singer and her friends making the mocking face as they posed with another friend, who is Asian. Cyrus initially said she was “simply making a goofy face” and had not done anything wrong. This week she said the photo was “unintentionally hurtful” but apologized to people who found it offensive.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The mystery behind China's aggressive push into space
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- The best places to find love — and lust — according to science
- Sex can't explain the culture war
- Why GOP reformers are bound to fail
- This simple hack for slicing cherry tomatoes will astound you
- The 5 best and worst states for a well-lived life
- How the battle for religious freedom became a nonsensical free-for-all
- The 6 best low-cost smartphones
Subscribe to the Week