GOOD DAY FOR: ESP, after Massachusetts state regulators said that Ruth Madoff, the wife of alleged $50 billion Ponzi schemer Bernard Madoff, withdrew $15.5 million from jointly owned brokerage accounts in the weeks before her husband’s arrest. Of that, $10 million was withdrawn the day before Madoff was arrested. (The New York Times)
BAD DAY FOR: Health drinks, as a hardline Hindu group in India is preparing to launch a soft drink made from cow’s urine—a liquid that is revered among many Hindus as sacred and medicinal. The group, Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh, sees Western food and drink imports as tools of imperialism. It has not settled on a flavor yet. (Reuters)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why all drugs should be legal. (Yes, even heroin.)
- 7 ideas from ancient thinkers that will improve your modern life
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How to trim $500 from your monthly spending
- The weird obsession that's ruining the GOP
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- Why you should really take a nap this afternoon, according to science
- Are there too many good shows on television?
- Comic-Con 2014: Everything we learned about Avengers 2, Batman v. Superman, and more
- The forgotten victims of the war in Ukraine
Subscribe to the Week