GOOD DAY FOR: ESP, after Massachusetts state regulators said that Ruth Madoff, the wife of alleged $50 billion Ponzi schemer Bernard Madoff, withdrew $15.5 million from jointly owned brokerage accounts in the weeks before her husband’s arrest. Of that, $10 million was withdrawn the day before Madoff was arrested. (The New York Times)
BAD DAY FOR: Health drinks, as a hardline Hindu group in India is preparing to launch a soft drink made from cow’s urine—a liquid that is revered among many Hindus as sacred and medicinal. The group, Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh, sees Western food and drink imports as tools of imperialism. It has not settled on a flavor yet. (Reuters)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- Don't argue about politics this Thanksgiving. Just don't.
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How to survive a spaceship disaster
Subscribe to the Week