GOOD DAY FOR: ESP, after Massachusetts state regulators said that Ruth Madoff, the wife of alleged $50 billion Ponzi schemer Bernard Madoff, withdrew $15.5 million from jointly owned brokerage accounts in the weeks before her husband’s arrest. Of that, $10 million was withdrawn the day before Madoff was arrested. (The New York Times)
BAD DAY FOR: Health drinks, as a hardline Hindu group in India is preparing to launch a soft drink made from cow’s urine—a liquid that is revered among many Hindus as sacred and medicinal. The group, Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh, sees Western food and drink imports as tools of imperialism. It has not settled on a flavor yet. (Reuters)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Vox, derp, and the intellectual stagnation of the left
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- Why TheWeek.com is closing the comments section
Subscribe to the Week