OOD DAY FOR: ESP, after Massachusetts state regulators said that Ruth Madoff, the wife of alleged $50 billion Ponzi schemer Bernard Madoff, withdrew $15.5 million from jointly owned brokerage accounts in the weeks before her husband’s arrest. Of that, $10 million was withdrawn the day before Madoff was arrested. (The New York Times)
BAD DAY FOR: Health drinks, as a hardline Hindu group in India is preparing to launch a soft drink made from cow’s urine—a liquid that is revered among many Hindus as sacred and medicinal. The group, Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh, sees Western food and drink imports as tools of imperialism. It has not settled on a flavor yet. (Reuters)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
- How Captain America won over China
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
Subscribe to the Week