GOOD DAY FOR: ESP, after Massachusetts state regulators said that Ruth Madoff, the wife of alleged $50 billion Ponzi schemer Bernard Madoff, withdrew $15.5 million from jointly owned brokerage accounts in the weeks before her husband’s arrest. Of that, $10 million was withdrawn the day before Madoff was arrested. (The New York Times)
BAD DAY FOR: Health drinks, as a hardline Hindu group in India is preparing to launch a soft drink made from cow’s urine—a liquid that is revered among many Hindus as sacred and medicinal. The group, Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh, sees Western food and drink imports as tools of imperialism. It has not settled on a flavor yet. (Reuters)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 10 things you need to know today: July 23, 2014
- I hate Ayn Rand — but here's why my fellow conservatives love her
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
- The weird obsession that's ruining the GOP
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why America is duty bound to help Iraqi Christians
- 9 things you probably didn't know about the moon
Subscribe to the Week