A 12-fingered pianist?
A boy has been born in California with six fingers on each hand and six toes on each foot. The sixth fingers and toes are fully formed and functional, and doctors have advised the boy’s parents that surgery isn’t necessary. “I realize children would tease each other over the slightest thing,” said pediatrician Dr. Michael Treece. “But imagine what sort of pianist a 12-fingered person would be, imagine what sort of flamenco guitarist. If nothing else, think of their typing skills.”
Salma Hayek breast-feeds hungry baby in Sierra Leone
Salma Hayek breast-fed a stranger’s child on a recent trip to Sierra Leone. The 42-year-old actress is currently nursing Valentina, her 1-year-old daughter, but was moved to share her bounty with a hungry baby whose mother couldn’t produce any milk. “You should have seen his eyes,” says Hayek. “When he felt the nourishment he immediately stopped crying.”
South Korean fails driving test for 771st time
A South Korean woman has just failed the written portion of her driving test for the 771st time in four years. The 68-year-old, whom transport officials know only by her last name, Cha, has been taking the test on a nearly daily basis since April 2005, and has scored as high as 50 percent; 60 percent is needed to progress to the actual driving test. “I feel sorry every time I see Cha fail,” said official Park Jung-seok. “When she passes I’ll make a memorial tablet myself and give it to her.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How Harry Houdini escaped death
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- What is Molly? Everything you need to know about the party drug
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 10 things you need to know today: September 2, 2014
- Your literary playlist: A guide to the music of Haruki Murakami
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
Subscribe to the Week