A boy has been born in California with six fingers on each hand and six toes on each foot. The sixth fingers and toes are fully formed and functional, and doctors have advised the boy’s parents that surgery isn’t necessary. “I realize children would tease each other over the slightest thing,” said pediatrician Dr. Michael Treece. “But imagine what sort of pianist a 12-fingered person would be, imagine what sort of flamenco guitarist. If nothing else, think of their typing skills.”
Salma Hayek breast-feeds hungry baby in Sierra Leone
Salma Hayek breast-fed a stranger’s child on a recent trip to Sierra Leone. The 42-year-old actress is currently nursing Valentina, her 1-year-old daughter, but was moved to share her bounty with a hungry baby whose mother couldn’t produce any milk. “You should have seen his eyes,” says Hayek. “When he felt the nourishment he immediately stopped crying.”
South Korean fails driving test for 771st time
A South Korean woman has just failed the written portion of her driving test for the 771st time in four years. The 68-year-old, whom transport officials know only by her last name, Cha, has been taking the test on a nearly daily basis since April 2005, and has scored as high as 50 percent; 60 percent is needed to progress to the actual driving test. “I feel sorry every time I see Cha fail,” said official Park Jung-seok. “When she passes I’ll make a memorial tablet myself and give it to her.”
- Watch The Daily Show mock the NSA and the gamers they're spying on
- 10 things you need to know today: December 10, 2013
- The 10 worst-reviewed movies of 2013
- 4 secret societies you probably don't know about
- 5 theories to explain North Korea's big mysterious purge
- How to stick it to the poor: A congressional strategy
- Did God have a wife?
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- The emerging budget deal is a small victory for Republicans
Subscribe to the Week