A 12-fingered pianist?
A boy has been born in California with six fingers on each hand and six toes on each foot. The sixth fingers and toes are fully formed and functional, and doctors have advised the boy’s parents that surgery isn’t necessary. “I realize children would tease each other over the slightest thing,” said pediatrician Dr. Michael Treece. “But imagine what sort of pianist a 12-fingered person would be, imagine what sort of flamenco guitarist. If nothing else, think of their typing skills.”
Salma Hayek breast-feeds hungry baby in Sierra Leone
Salma Hayek breast-fed a stranger’s child on a recent trip to Sierra Leone. The 42-year-old actress is currently nursing Valentina, her 1-year-old daughter, but was moved to share her bounty with a hungry baby whose mother couldn’t produce any milk. “You should have seen his eyes,” says Hayek. “When he felt the nourishment he immediately stopped crying.”
South Korean fails driving test for 771st time
A South Korean woman has just failed the written portion of her driving test for the 771st time in four years. The 68-year-old, whom transport officials know only by her last name, Cha, has been taking the test on a nearly daily basis since April 2005, and has scored as high as 50 percent; 60 percent is needed to progress to the actual driving test. “I feel sorry every time I see Cha fail,” said official Park Jung-seok. “When she passes I’ll make a memorial tablet myself and give it to her.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Stop making fun of philosophy and read some philosophy
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Sorry, we will not all be having sex with robots in the future
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- How to live a long life, according to science
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
Why is Obama still smoking?
- Beware of Splenda: The backlash against artificial sugars
- These two studies should be a wake-up call to natural-childbirth extremists
Subscribe to the Week