Here’s some “late-night breaking comedy news,” said Andrew Malcolm in the Los Angeles Times. Comedians have started making jokes about Barack Obama—“The One who’s president right now”! Jon Stewart, on Comedy Central’s “The Daily Show,” cracked jokes about Obama’s speaking style and his mannerisms (click here for the video).
"Don't expect miracles, here," said Moe Lane in RedState. Stewart's a liberal, after all. But at least he's smart enough to realize that his audience will get bored if he just continues to lampoon "that Bush guy." It just goes to show, "you make fun of the president you have," even if you'd rather mock somebody else.
"Even given the eloquence of Obama," said Yael T. Abouhalkah in The Kansas City Star, "I'm pretty sure he will give Letterman and other comedians plenty of material to work with over the next four years." Obama already obligingly bumped his head—with TV cameras rolling (click here for the video)—while stepping onto the Marine One helicopter. Nine more makes a Top 10 list.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- Hey, grammar nerds! Stop freaking out about 'alot.'
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- 10 things you need to know today: September 1, 2014
- The elusive 'It factor' in presidential politics
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- These real-life Rosie the Riveters changed the face of labor
Subscribe to the Week