The Western tradition of Valentine’s Day is celebrated as “the global holiday of love,” said Egyptian Muslim cleric Hazem Shuman on Al-Rahma TV (via MEMRI), but it’s really a virus, "more dangerous than Ebola, which dissolves the human body, more dangerous than cholera,” or even AIDS. The “Valentine virus” turns everything red, and makes all red things more expensive—teddy bears, candles, pens—except one thing: “the blood of Muslims.” The more that Muslims celebrate Valentine’s Day, the more that Western “Jews and the Christians gloat at us.” If “Muhammad the Muslim” and “George the Christian” are both throwing parties, both buying their wives dresses, both seating their wives “on the stage for all the people to see,” and both having mixed sexes dancing to a mixed-sex band, how can you tell the difference between Muhammad’s party and George’s party? You can’t, and that makes “tears flow from the Prophet’s eyes.” Valentine’s Day is attacking the heart of the world’s youth. “We must confront this Valentine virus!”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- Don't argue about politics this Thanksgiving. Just don't.
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- How Rand Paul's GOP opponents will use his minority outreach against him
Subscribe to the Week