onday, Feb. 23
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly (1966)
This spaghetti Western was the final part of the trilogy that began with A Fistful of Dollars. With Clint Eastwood, Eli Wallach, and a haunting Ennio Morricone score. 1:45 p.m., AMC
The Hand Behind the Mouse: The Ub Iwerks Story (1999)
Iwerks’ daughter Leslie made this documentary about the unjustly overlooked animation pioneer who created Mickey Mouse and collaborated with Walt Disney on his earliest cartoons. 8 p.m., Ovation
Waiting for Guffman (1996)
Featuring most of the same ensemble as his Best in Show, Christopher Guest’s charming comedy chronicles an amateur musical in a small Missouri town. 6:30 p.m., IFC
The Gold Rush (1925)
In Charlie Chaplin’s silent masterpiece, the Little Tramp goes prospecting for gold in the Yukon. A blend of hilarious slapstick and poignant sentiment. 6 a.m., TCM
All the King’s Men (1949)
This adaptation of Robert Penn Warren’s Pulitzer Prize–winning novel, based on Louisiana Gov. Huey Long, won the Best Picture Oscar. Broderick Crawford also won, for Best Actor. 10:15 p.m., TCM
A Mighty Heart (2007)
Angelina Jolie plays Mariane Pearl, wife of Wall Street Journal reporter Daniel Pearl, who was kidnapped and slain by Islamic militants. 9 p.m., Showtime
Year of the Dog (2007)
In this quirky comedy-drama, Molly Shannon gives a fine, low-key performance as a lonely office assistant who becomes obsessed with animals after her beloved dog is accidentally poisoned. 6:15 p.m., TMC
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Attack of the invasive species
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
- How Captain America won over China
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
Subscribe to the Week