Peter Gabriel has refused to perform at this year’s Academy Awards ceremony after being told that he’d only have 65 seconds for his nominated song, “Down to Earth” from the movie WALL-E. Oscar producers said they cut the six-minute song to fit into a medley. “Songwriters, even though they’re a small part of the filmmaking process, we still work bloody hard and I think deserve a place in the ceremony,” said Gabriel. “I’m an old fart and it’s not going to do me any harm to make a little protest.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 7 tips for keeping your man (from the 1950s)
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Why does Fareed Zakaria still have a job?
- How the elderly are treated around the world
- Does solar energy have a battery problem?
Subscribe to the Week