eter Gabriel has refused to perform at this year’s Academy Awards ceremony after being told that he’d only have 65 seconds for his nominated song, “Down to Earth” from the movie WALL-E. Oscar producers said they cut the six-minute song to fit into a medley. “Songwriters, even though they’re a small part of the filmmaking process, we still work bloody hard and I think deserve a place in the ceremony,” said Gabriel. “I’m an old fart and it’s not going to do me any harm to make a little protest.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why Texas Republicans may want to cool the anti-Obama land-grab talk
- Why the poor's investment of choice is so alarming
- Why China's Communist Party is headed for collapse
- How to make perfect fried rice in 6 easy steps
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- Affirmative action is doomed. Here's what progressives should do about it.
- Why conservatives see rural America as the 'real' America
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
Subscribe to the Week