eter Gabriel has refused to perform at this year’s Academy Awards ceremony after being told that he’d only have 65 seconds for his nominated song, “Down to Earth” from the movie WALL-E. Oscar producers said they cut the six-minute song to fit into a medley. “Songwriters, even though they’re a small part of the filmmaking process, we still work bloody hard and I think deserve a place in the ceremony,” said Gabriel. “I’m an old fart and it’s not going to do me any harm to make a little protest.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- Attack of the invasive species
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
- These stunning travel photos remind us that we're all just amateurs with iPhones
- How to flirt, according to science
Subscribe to the Week