As the world marks the 200th anniversary of Charles Darwin’s birthday, only 39% of Americans say they “believe in the theory of evolution.” Those who attend church weekly and did not attend college are least likely to believe in evolution. Of Americans with postgraduate degrees, 74% do accept evolution as fact.
75% of Americans say the federal government should not take over the faltering U.S. banking system, while only 9% think nationalizing the banks is a good idea.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Bush vs. Clinton in 2016 is the perfect way to make millennials hate politics even more
- The latent sexism of the male marriage proposal
- This judge is the reason we're still fighting over net neutrality
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The lessons of Japan's latest recession
- The week's best photojournalism
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- How to adopt the perfect rescue dog
- How to grow a microscopic alien garden
Subscribe to the Week