our Seasons Hotel
India’s first Four Seasons Hotel soars above Mumbai “like a fine blade of steel and glass,” offering a “startling” view of the city, said Sandra Boler in the Financial Times. Located “cheek by jowl with some of Mumbai’s inner-city slums,” the five-star hotel embodies the “extraordinary contrasts of India.” Though the glass tower itself couldn’t be more 21st-century, the architectural details pay homage to India’s “colonial past.” Sandstone walls surround the landscaped grounds, while “pale-gold Italian onyx” lines the entrance and the floor is made from “warm, honey-colored” South American anegre wood. The aesthetic is one of “startling purity.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- The new bride who had a horrifying allergic reaction to her husband's sperm
- No, Ukraine is not being run by fascists
Subscribe to the Week