our Seasons Hotel
India’s first Four Seasons Hotel soars above Mumbai “like a fine blade of steel and glass,” offering a “startling” view of the city, said Sandra Boler in the Financial Times. Located “cheek by jowl with some of Mumbai’s inner-city slums,” the five-star hotel embodies the “extraordinary contrasts of India.” Though the glass tower itself couldn’t be more 21st-century, the architectural details pay homage to India’s “colonial past.” Sandstone walls surround the landscaped grounds, while “pale-gold Italian onyx” lines the entrance and the floor is made from “warm, honey-colored” South American anegre wood. The aesthetic is one of “startling purity.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How my boyfriend and I learned to live on one income
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why Texas Republicans may want to cool the anti-Obama land-grab talk
- Why the poor's investment of choice is so alarming
- Why China's Communist Party is headed for collapse
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- Why conservatives see rural America as the 'real' America
- How to make perfect fried rice in 6 easy steps
- Affirmative action is doomed. Here's what progressives should do about it.
Subscribe to the Week