our Seasons Hotel
India’s first Four Seasons Hotel soars above Mumbai “like a fine blade of steel and glass,” offering a “startling” view of the city, said Sandra Boler in the Financial Times. Located “cheek by jowl with some of Mumbai’s inner-city slums,” the five-star hotel embodies the “extraordinary contrasts of India.” Though the glass tower itself couldn’t be more 21st-century, the architectural details pay homage to India’s “colonial past.” Sandstone walls surround the landscaped grounds, while “pale-gold Italian onyx” lines the entrance and the floor is made from “warm, honey-colored” South American anegre wood. The aesthetic is one of “startling purity.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Attack of the invasive species
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
- 10 things you need to know today: April 19, 2014
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
Subscribe to the Week