If there was an Academy Award handed out for Best Presenter of an Academy Award, said Celebuzz, “Ben Stiller would have carried it home" with his hilarious, "spot-on" imitation of "Joaquin Phoenix's disastrous talk-show appearance.” (Click here to watch Stiller at the Oscars) Stiller “immediately brought the house down when he appeared onstage sporting Phoenix's now-famous ZZ Top beard.” (Click here to watch Phoenix on Letterman)
But what about Steve Martin and Tina Fey presenting the Best Original Screenplay award? said Allison Ford in the Examiner. There they were, “blatantly skewering Scientology in the most oblique crazy-religion reference ever—bravo”! That moment was definitely “TiVo-worthy”—and “worth rewinding” a few times (click here to watch).
But “the pre-filmed segments of the Oscars are usually far funnier than anything performed live,” said Kat Angus in the Montreal Gazette, “and this year was no different.” Seth Rogen and James Franco were hilarious as their stoner characters from Pineapple Express, seated together on a couch laughing inappropriately at serious movies like The Reader and Doubt (click here to watch the skit). And Oscar-winning cinematographer Janusz Kaminski joining the duo on the couch was the icing on the cake.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- 10 things you need to know today: September 1, 2014
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- The keys to succeeding with a job recruiter
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- 9 Harvard dropouts who became fabulously successful
Subscribe to the Week