f there was an Academy Award handed out for Best Presenter of an Academy Award, said Celebuzz, “Ben Stiller would have carried it home" with his hilarious, "spot-on" imitation of "Joaquin Phoenix's disastrous talk-show appearance.” (Click here to watch Stiller at the Oscars) Stiller “immediately brought the house down when he appeared onstage sporting Phoenix's now-famous ZZ Top beard.” (Click here to watch Phoenix on Letterman)
But what about Steve Martin and Tina Fey presenting the Best Original Screenplay award? said Allison Ford in the Examiner. There they were, “blatantly skewering Scientology in the most oblique crazy-religion reference ever—bravo”! That moment was definitely “TiVo-worthy”—and “worth rewinding” a few times (click here to watch).
But “the pre-filmed segments of the Oscars are usually far funnier than anything performed live,” said Kat Angus in the Montreal Gazette, “and this year was no different.” Seth Rogen and James Franco were hilarious as their stoner characters from Pineapple Express, seated together on a couch laughing inappropriately at serious movies like The Reader and Doubt (click here to watch the skit). And Oscar-winning cinematographer Janusz Kaminski joining the duo on the couch was the icing on the cake.
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- All the World Cup mascots, ranked
- 10 things you need to know today: December 8, 2013
- 'Tis the season for having sex with old flames and ruining your office reputation
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- There is a better alternative to raising the minimum wage
- 6 grammar points to watch out for in Christmas songs
- Rick Santorum wins the prize for the worst Nelson Mandela tribute
- 7 health benefits of playing video games
- Watch The Daily Show use Pope Francis to hammer Fox Business pundits
Subscribe to the Week